Airfix 1:144 Scale Saint Louis c.1626 -The Modification

I built the Heller version in 1/200 a couple of years ago, & I must say the Airfix version looks much better! I should've bought the Airfix when I had a chance! haha

the model is hard to come by these days...and sits dormant in someone's stash
On hismodel there're always some old hard to find kits. It's worth checking once in a while

Hello everybody, I too will watch carefully as I excited that I found this kit on eBay last night in the UK. Original white box with the Airfix Classic Ships on the top left from 1973 so I am hoping it is in fact as it is advertised. Listed as sealed contents so I await to see the state it’s in but am confident I can make repairs as needed. Reasonable price but killer postage of course. Stretched over a build and the fun, then in the end not so expensive..

Hi there Rex.

Pulled up a chair for a front row seat to watch another of your superb projects.

I have to admit having this kit in my stash these past 20 years, which came my way at a price I couldn't refuse.
This period of ship isn't exactly my cup of tea; it would be interesting to find out the reasons Airfix chose this obscure ship as a subject on which to lavish there once excellent sailing ship skills.

Such a shame we will never know anything about the people involved in researching and designing these products; probably a small team of enthusiasts, lost to history.

Where can I find your build log of the Dutch VOC ship HALF MOON?

Hi there Rex.

Pulled up a chair for a front row seat to watch another of your superb projects.

I have to admit having this kit in my stash these past 20 years, which came my way at a price I couldn't refuse.
This period of ship isn't exactly my cup of tea; it would be interesting to find out the reasons Airfix chose this obscure ship as a subject on which to lavish there once excellent sailing ship skills.

Such a shame we will never know anything about the people involved in researching and designing these products; probably a small team of enthusiasts, lost to history.

Where can I find your build log of the Dutch VOC ship HALF MOON?
the following search is showing all topics about a Half Moon we have here in SOS

Hello Broadsides, I have just taken note of your build log for the first time and I am very happy to be able to follow how someone with your experience and fantastic skills builds this model. I am convinced that I will learn a lot in the process.

In fact, I have worked very intensively on the model over the last few years and have built two examples, both of which are still waiting for their rigging. Of course, I used Landström's drawing and Hondius' engraving as important models. (By the way: the question asked here, why the designers at Airfix chose this ship, is answered in my opinion by the existence of the very detailed old engraving as well as by Landström's successful reconstruction). In the beginning I tried to optimise the model in places without changing much of the substance. In the end, however, the side galleries and the transom were completely rebuilt, with, among other things, the turrets on the galleries being free-standing. I hope I have your permission to show two photos here showing the way the conversion was done. (I will remove the photos immediately if you wish so).

43966630sj.jpg

43966631zq.jpg

The complete build log, documenting all the back and forth, can be found in a German forum for modellers:

Schmidt

Rex, this really looks incredible, so far! I love all your modifications, and the paint looks amazing, as usual; your weathered wood effect is highly realistic, a la the Batavia at Lelystad. One thing that has always been a little curious to me is that you do not seem to prime before painting, unless of course, you are priming as you go and not showing the primed areas. If no primer, have you found it advantageous to your paint effects, to not use primer? This is not a criticism, I'm just curious.

I'm really looking forward to you working your magic on this one - it is already a much more credible representation of the period than what comes out of the box.

That’s interesting about enamels. I hand-brush thinned acrylics, which require multiple applications for good color saturation. A primer base helps with paint adhesion, and in the case of my current project, eliminates the problem of overcoming the dark black plastic. I like acrylics because they are self-leveling and one can brush-on a professional finish. Your enamel work doesn’t show any evidence of the brush. Do you use paint conditioners/thinners for better flow?

Back