Airfix 1/600 HMS Hood

Splendid job on one of Airfix's first ship kits.

The later ones, KGV, Repulse and Prinz Eugen are some of the last and are much better moldings,
Bizmark and Scharnhorst are just as crude as the Hood.

With a bit of effort they can all be knocked into shape.

You found this a challenge; learned stuff and in the end you had fun and have something tangible.

Look forward to 'seeing you soon'.

Splendid job on one of Airfix's first ship kits.

The later ones, KGV, Repulse and Prinz Eugen are some of the last and are much better moldings,
Bizmark and Scharnhorst are just as crude as the Hood.

With a bit of effort they can all be knocked into shape.

You found this a challenge; learned stuff and in the end you had fun and have something tangible.

Look forward to 'seeing you soon'.
Thank you for your kind and inspiring words sir ...

I have the old Bismarck, as well as the HMS Ark Royal, the HMS Fearless, and the KMS Graf Spee. Would love to hear you opinion on those ladies. Looking forward to build them at some stage.

Your appreciation is appreciated, thank you!

As far as I recall, the Airfix 1:600 early ship kits included the Hood, Bizmark, Sharnhorst, Ark Royal, Nelson and Campbeltown.
I think the Victorious, Iron Duke, Suffolk, Ajaxand Warspite, should also be included.

Remember rebuilding Warspite, Repulse and Hood to original configuration, needing a modicum of scratch building.
Suffolk can easily be modified into the many handsome 'Counties'.

A bit of imagination and a lot of work can build the entire Jutland Grand fleet of battleships/battle cruisers.

All of these are a bit clunky; Bismark is very inaccurate, Sharnhorst comes with the original low, straight bow. The turrets of Nelson benefit greatly by adding 2mm at the bottom. Though the Ark Royal can be improved a lot, out of the box is, like all the above, is rather crude.

The original range was expanded a few years later and look more convincing, with more refined detail.
These include KGV, Repulse, Belfast, Fearless, Graph Spee and Prinz Eugen.

All were issued years before such things as photo etch became available.

Forgive me if I miss any.

Always thought it was a missed opportunity Airfix didn't model Dreadnought and Vanguard; the first and last.

The best collective reference drawings for British capital ships I have are the series of books by R A Burt.

Today, modellers are spoiled for choice, their demands and available products are much more developed.
The Airfix range should always be seen in overall context.

So many ships, so little time.

Last edited:
Dear Pug,

I will definitely follw-up on your email and the kits you mention in there. Quite a number of the ole' 1/600 ship kits that I would love to make part of the ever increasing stash (oh dear). There is so much available for modellers these days as you say, but still, I prefer the old Airfix kits and some of the older Heller kits as well. All the missing location holes, parts that do not fit properly, lack of detail etc., does not really matter. In the end it is the satisfaction one gets if you can produce an at least decent ship model. Oh, I have the HMS Fearless - any comments on her? And as you say, so many ships and little time.

What I like about 1:600 is the scale; 1:700 is too small. Strange? That's me.

I really do like 1:1200, but no one seems to do them in plastic now.
A true 'table top navy' can be built. If decent drawings can be found it isn't hard to scratch build them, which can be very satisfying.
1:1250 (Atlas) die-cast ships can be found on ebay at reasonable cost and for what they are the detail is remarkable.

The Fearless kit, yes I built that when it was introduced. Too long ago to remember it in detail.

My preferences were WW1/2 period ships. Both my Grandfathers were in the navy during that time and I grew up being inspired by their tales.

My loft is FULL of un-built kits. I think the stash mentality revolves around the 'potential' aspect.

After the diappointment with the Airfix 1/600 Graf Spee due to a paint work going very bad, I have decided to start some work with the Airfix Vintage Classic, the HMS Hood. I have started as not per instructions with the hull and had some significant challenges to put is together without significant gaps between the two halves. Mission was accomplished and with some styrene strips and putty I will be able to get a decent fit.

Then came the front deck ...Redface. Due to, I believe old moulds the deck was slightly warped, and the locations inside of the hull are now soft and poorly defined. So, if one put the deck onto the hulle this is the best fit ... (see picture). truly the best fit. With some glue and tweakes I may be able to get it a bit better but not much. Spent most of Saturday sanding and dry fitting, trying to get a decent fit. Any suggestions and help? Would welcome some pointers by some of our more experienced members. From the beginning I knew that there may be work on this kit, from reviews etc, but perhaps there is good advice out there (and emotional support ...:eek:).

Are there some good diagrams out there to help me to add some detail?

So this coming week, I will try to get a decent fit between the forward deck and the hull.
Hallo @Ettienne
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you Bill, really encouraging. This week the bench is quiet... hopefully I will get some bench time by Friday ...
Are you considering replacing the "Aztec stairs"? It would look reasonably better with photoetch parts.

Bill

Are you considering replacing the "Aztec stairs"? It would look reasonably better with photoetch parts.

Bill
Of course the modern scourge of photo etch.
Instant whirlpool of frustration and expense.
Don't get me wrong; whatever floats your boat ;)
Nothing wrong with the basic form the kit provides.
Failing eyesight and imagination can do the rest.
Just saying.

Of course the modern scourge of photo etch.
Instant whirlpool of frustration and expense.
Don't get me wrong; whatever floats your boat ;)
Nothing wrong with the basic form the kit provides.
Failing eyesight and imagination can do the rest.
Just saying.
Agreed. Advice is always appreciated, but I have made a decision to work with what I get in the box and if I want to spruce it up, I will schratchbuild or "do some magic". These extras are costing a fortune these days and in the end, do they really, really make that much of a difference? I suppose they do, but as you say Pug ... whatever floats one's boat.

I agree to a point. I hate to photoetch, but I hate those Aztec stairs even more. I too prefer to scratch-build if for no other reason than that doing so will add a three dimensional aspect to them.

Bill

Aztec stairs.....
the few that there are are hardly a sin and easily cut off if deemed so.
Out of the box there's so much that can be improved without resorting to expensive add-ons.
Here's mine from 25 years ago...
Aztec stairs

DSCF1922.JPG

DSCF1921.JPG

Aztec stairs.....
the few that there are are hardly a sin and easily cut off if deemed so.
Out of the box there's so much that can be improved without resorting to expensive add-ons.
Here's mine from 25 years ago...
Aztec stairs

View attachment 427811

View attachment 427812
Discovered this post just now. A lovely built and the rigging ... a study in patience. Well done Pug.

Good Grief!!!! What a marvelous build of this kit. You have done an excellent job.
As an aside, it was this kit that got me into modelling when I was a nipper. I remember watching my older brother build one and I was hooked! lol. That was around 55 years ago now. Regards, Pete in RI

Back