Airfix 1/600 RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

I decided to build another 1/600 Airfix kit, RMS Queen Elizabeth 2. This kit is also kind of hard to find and a bit pricey. The box is a little messy but the kit is complete and in good condition.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

I have started to add some photo etch to QE2. Mostly railings and some odds and ends. Railings are challenging for me when they have curves and angles on the same piece.22 Cranes.jpg23 Railings.jpg24 PE.jpg

Thanks Gebirgsmarine. Today installed the lifeboats and davits30 Lifeboats.jpg31 Lifeboats.jpg32 Lifeboats.jpg. Next things to do will be the mast, props, anchors, and lots of railings around the davits.

I finished off my QE2 tonight, all done.
She is gorgeous as is, no question asked and you made beauty out of the box. But I remember, you always strive to bring charm to your models. I think, but this is purely for my taste, you may add some threads holding the masts, pipes, and cranes. I am not even sure, it is feasible at your scale...

She is gorgeous as is, no question asked and you made beauty out of the box. But I remember, you always strive to bring charm to your models. I think, but this is purely for my taste, you may add some threads holding the masts, pipes, and cranes. I am not even sure, it is feasible at your scale...
Thank you. I put some rigging on my other 1/600's but I don't think the way this one is designed the plastic would support it. The main mast has two very flimsy horizontal pieces attached that are not anchored well at all. The actual holes that the pieces fit into were not the correct size and I couldn't even file them open with my smallest tools. I had to remove material from one of the pieces just to be able to somewhat get the end of it into the mast side. As a result the glue is more or less just holding them on as opposed to them fitting in the holes tightly. I think a small breeze might blow them off lol. I'm sure if I tried to attach anything to them they would not hold. I looked at some QE2 photos and just couldn't see how it would be possible for me to do it without the mast coming apart. It was a bit disappointing to me having no rigging but I couldn't figure out a way to secure any lines. Also the smallest line I have is may be overscale for the cranes. Thankfully QE2 doesn't have too much of that as compared to other ships so it's not too big of an issue. I have the 1/450 scale version yet to build which should allow me an easier time with this sort of thing. 99138506_10157306934281616_1591717169115168768_n.jpg

Back