Airfix H.M.S Hood

Ahoy There!

I am new to this group and thought I would share a few phots of my completed HMS Hood.

I thought that overall the kit went together pretty well. There was a little gap at the back of the superstructure between the deck and the walls.

The colours were a mix of Tamiya for the wooden deck, Humbrol Acrylic for the grey hull and Revell Aqua for everything else. The decks were painted wooden deck tan and given a wash of dark earth. The finished model was given random streaks and blobs of drybrushing in various areas using lighter or darker shades of the base colour...

The kit was made out of the box, with the only extras being a couple of flags and a necklace chain for the anchor cables. I did modify the base of the funnels too. The main gun barrels had a bit of filler applied to look like the bags where they protrude from the turret. I did have to scratch build an antenna part as that was broken when I opened the box. The base was made from an old bed slat and match sticks, stained with coffee (because I had no wood stain!),a hand painted ships crest, finished with some black electrical tape wrapped around it...

I am no expert on the Mighty Hood, I may have depicted her in several stages of her life all at once... I make no apology for that, I just enjoyed making it and I am pleased with how it turned out. Rivet counters look away now!!

20200323_220755.jpg20200323_220803.jpg20201001_122419.jpg20201001_122604.jpg20201001_122815.jpg20201001_123315.jpg20201001_122746.jpg20201001_122926.jpg20201001_122851.jpg20201001_122935.jpg20201001_123241.jpg20201001_123109.jpg20201001_123250.jpg20201001_122612.jpg

Ahoy There!

I am new to this group and thought I would share a few phots of my completed HMS Hood.

I thought that overall the kit went together pretty well. There was a little gap at the back of the superstructure between the deck and the walls.

The colours were a mix of Tamiya for the wooden deck, Humbrol Acrylic for the grey hull and Revell Aqua for everything else. The decks were painted wooden deck tan and given a wash of dark earth. The finished model was given random streaks and blobs of drybrushing in various areas using lighter or darker shades of the base colour...

The kit was made out of the box, with the only extras being a couple of flags and a necklace chain for the anchor cables. I did modify the base of the funnels too. The main gun barrels had a bit of filler applied to look like the bags where they protrude from the turret. I did have to scratch build an antenna part as that was broken when I opened the box. The base was made from an old bed slat and match sticks, stained with coffee (because I had no wood stain!),a hand painted ships crest, finished with some black electrical tape wrapped around it...

I am no expert on the Mighty Hood, I may have depicted her in several stages of her life all at once... I make no apology for that, I just enjoyed making it and I am pleased with how it turned out. Rivet counters look away now!!
Hallo @Grim
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Ahoy There!

Hallo @Grim
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Ahoy There!

View attachment 241596View attachment 241597View attachment 241598View attachment 241599View attachment 241600View attachment 241601View attachment 241602View attachment 241603View attachment 241604View attachment 241605View attachment 241606View attachment 241607View attachment 241608View attachment 241609
I remember building that kit from Airfix in my youth. There was no real option back then other than an out of box build; with some paint if you were lucky. You've done the kit and ship justice. Your model looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Back