Airfix H.M.S. Prince c.1670 -Trilogy Finale [COMPLETED BUILD]

It's been three months and finally...the finish.

There's not much more I can add to this, except that I'm delighted to have experienced this journey (relative to ship design) that has spanned a good 40-50 years - if my childhood is taken into account. To have been commissioned to build models for clients since 11 years of age is certainly one for the record books. However, I raise my glass to those gentlemen who saw a talent that they were willing to support...and that support came from all areas of the maritime.

H.M.S. Prince was one of the models in the Airfix Series that, in the beginning, I really didn't want to pursue. But as I viewed the box art and finally the contents, I realized it was part of the mystery to the Airfix genre. The company was ahead of its time when these sailing ships surfaced...starting with the ROYAL SOVERIEGN which was the (Sovereign of the Seas c.1637).

After placing the last rigging line to this work, I realized I created something very priceless. I had taken three average plastic kits and converted them in fine quality pieces that even I'm awed by...But, I'm not finished. The Trilogy is finished, but the model of SAINT LOUIS was the initial model that began this journey -and that model must seal it. However overall, I thank everyone in this forum for giving me the positive feedback that compiled these three works together. You all created the trilogy with this platform Ships Of Scale.

I recognize this and thank you.

DSCN0106.jpgDSCN0088 (2).jpgDSCN0164 (2).jpgDSCN0238 (2).jpgDSCN0215 (2).jpgDSCN0192 (2).jpgDSCN0194 (2).jpgDSCN0184 (3).jpgDSCN0177 (2).jpgDSCN0170 (4).jpgDSCN0280 (3).jpg

Maybe you post also some photos of your finished model(s) here in this area for completed models?
Would be great - so we could add your model also to our showcase photo gallery

There's not much more I can add to this, except that I'm delighted to have experienced this journey (relative to ship design) that has spanned a good 40-50 years - if my childhood is taken into account. To have been commissioned to build models for clients since 11 years of age is certainly one for the record books. However, I raise my glass to those gentlemen who saw a talent that they were willing to support...and that support came from all areas of the maritime.

H.M.S. Prince was one of the models in the Airfix Series that, in the beginning, I really didn't want to pursue. But as I viewed the box art and finally the contents, I realized it was part of the mystery to the Airfix genre. The company was ahead of its time when these sailing ships surfaced...starting with the ROYAL SOVERIEGN which was the (Sovereign of the Seas c.1637).

After placing the last rigging line to this work, I realized I created something very priceless. I had taken three average plastic kits and converted them in fine quality pieces that even I'm awed by...But, I'm not finished. The Trilogy is finished, but the model of SAINT LOUIS was the initial model that began this journey -and that model must seal it. However overall, I thank everyone in this forum for giving me the positive feedback that compiled these three works together. You all created the trilogy with this platform Ships Of Scale.

View attachment 242857View attachment 242859View attachment 242861View attachment 242862View attachment 242863View attachment 242864View attachment 242865View attachment 242873View attachment 242874View attachment 242875View attachment 242867
Мodel looks GREAT!

I like it very much, Your style very impressive !

Have question - color of anchor buoy, do they paint it in contrast color in that time?...was it the rule or it is just work of author imagination on this model?

Do you have some historic evidence (some contemporaneous picture or museum models) which could "confirms" such choice?

It is very actual \ interesting question for me now... recently I was busy with anchor gear arrangement for my model (period of end of 16th -beginning of 17th centuries) but didn't find information about using contrast color for anchor buoys in that time...
Would be interesting to hear Your opinion.

All the best!

Kirill

WOW!
Splendid job, Rex, thanks for indulging us with your vision and skill.
Give us a treat and build the Airfix 'Bounty' sometime soon....please:rolleyes:
Gladly, but that I might endeavor sometime in late fall/early winter. I'm intrigued by the Airfix SAINT LOUIS I recently acquired and may build that since the model was produced in Japan and have their wordage on the plans. It might be well worth the effort because I will focus on the grating above the main deck waist area.

I haven't seen any model showing where those lines are belayed, so this will be another challenge to consider. Eitherway, I will get to BOUNTY...And next year, 'maybe' the VICTORY.

I appreciate your kind words and look forward to posting again in the not too distant future. As for posting on the Completed Models thread, I rather keep these images here and humbly leave that for the other builders. I already have two there and will oblige the forum next year?

Again, thanks for having my work.

WOW!
Splendid job, Rex, thanks for indulging us with your vision and skill.
Give us a treat and build the Airfix 'Bounty' sometime soon....please:rolleyes:
Gladly, but that I might endeavor sometime in late fall/early winter. I'm intrigued by the Airfix SAINT LOUIS I recently acquired and may build that since the model was produced in Japan and have their wordage on the plans. It might be well worth the effort because I will focus on the grating above the main deck waist area.

I haven't seen any model showing where those lines are belayed, so this will be another challenge to consider. Eitherway, I will get to BOUNTY...And next year, 'maybe' the VICTORY.

I appreciate your kind words and look forward to posting again in the not too distant future. As for posting on the Completed Models thread, I rather keep these images here and humbly leave that for the other builders. I already have two there and will oblige the forum next year?

Again, thanks for having my work.

I have the St Louis in my stash.

So much of that periods ships is speculative and the kit strikes me as being a bit 'clunky'. I don't know anything of the ships history, but I've often wondered what persuaded Airfix to invest in a kit of such an obscure subject?

The company was on a roll with their ships back then....such a shame they abandoned the genre.

Still, I'm intrigued by what you will make of it and anticipate another resounding success.
Take care, Rex....'till the next time.

Мodel looks GREAT!

I like it very much, Your style very impressive !

Have question - color of anchor buoy, do they paint it in contrast color in that time?...was it the rule or it is just work of author imagination on this model?

Do you have some historic evidence (some contemporaneous picture or museum models) which could "confirms" such choice?

It is very actual \ interesting question for me now... recently I was busy with anchor gear arrangement for my model (period of end of 16th -beginning of 17th centuries) but didn't find information about using contrast color for anchor buoys in that time...
Would be interesting to hear Your opinion.

All the best!

Kirill
Kirill:

There were no hard or fast rules for anchor bouys of that period. These were generic items that were colored based on the captain's preference. Some models have them black, orange, red, etc. There was no military protocol for them.

I chose red because I create models that require bouys on fishing boats, etc. And these vary; so, it's only fitting this would be the same protocol. It would make sense because if the anchor is to be located in a storm or in the evening, color would pinpoint the location. I spoke with a British gentleman some years ago when I built my 'first' PRINCE miniature and he asked me if I tossed the anchor (with bouy) into the ocean when a hard wind came in the evening, how would I find it if somehow the cable was cut?

He went on to say that a colored bouy would be easy to locate; and that sailors of those times were no different in knowledge than sailors today. The only difference was the years...and this gentleman served in the Royal Navy. So there you have it from the 'lion's mouth'.

I hope this helps...and thanks for viewing!

Kirill:

There were no hard or fast rules for anchor bouys of that period. These were generic items that were colored based on the captain's preference. Some models have them black, orange, red, etc. There was no military protocol for them.

I chose red because I create models that require bouys on fishing boats, etc. And these vary; so, it's only fitting this would be the same protocol. It would make sense because if the anchor is to be located in a storm or in the evening, color would pinpoint the location. I spoke with a British gentleman some years ago when I built my 'first' PRINCE miniature and he asked me if I tossed the anchor (with bouy) into the ocean when a hard wind came in the evening, how would I find it if somehow the cable was cut?

He went on to say that a colored bouy would be easy to locate; and that sailors of those times were no different in knowledge than sailors today. The only difference was the years...and this gentleman served in the Royal Navy. So there you have it from the 'lion's mouth'.

I hope this helps...and thanks for viewing!

Oh yes! I see, it sounds logical ...
indeed contrast color buoy make it easy to pinpoint location...
but I very doubt (I'm seaman too) if somebody on sailing vessel (admit we are talking of 17 century big vessel, no engine! :))) would try to find anchor in stormy weather or much worst, in the evening storm weather in such sea condition that it was ness-ry to cut anchor rope to save vessel,
taking in consideration that procedure of heaving up anchor itself in that time was extremely difficult...
I think, they will return , if survived , and try to find anchor when weather became more or less calm again... and in this case yes, contrast color will help to locate anchor ... Thanks for your answer and inputs...

I have the St Louis in my stash.

So much of that periods ships is speculative and the kit strikes me as being a bit 'clunky'. I don't know anything of the ships history, but I've often wondered what persuaded Airfix to invest in a kit of such an obscure subject?

The company was on a roll with their ships back then....such a shame they abandoned the genre.

Still, I'm intrigued by what you will make of it and anticipate another resounding success.
Take care, Rex....'till the next time.
Pugwash, I can only speculate Airfix took it on because it was probably one of the subjects that caught the attention of historians of that time. Also, because it had Dutch influence like VASA, Airfix probably felt it could reach a larger audience of hobbyists (which it did). My first Airfix kit was, indeed, SAINT LOUIS in 1980.

And yes, you're correct; the company was prosperous until the high petroleum costs in the same period (1980s). This forced them to close our Philadelphia plant here in the States and sell their interest to the French company Humbrol. Inflation caused a much decline in the hobby and those builders that were experienced , like myself and others, turned to galleries and craft shows to sell our models. These didn't want 'kits'; these entities wanted quality models from scratch. This is why I decided to specialize in both genres, because I felt kits could be just as worthy as scratchbuilt pieces if given the proper tools to modify them.

As you can see, it works. So since you have SAINT LOUIS, don't have any doubts about it. She's a great model. I sold my first one to a business executive after the news article was written. However, now that I have more data to work with, I'm certain this upcoming one will be twice the pleasure of viewing!

Again, your words and viewing is much appreciated.

Fantastic realization of the Trilogy, Rex! If the Airfix designers could see your work now, and maybe one or two are still looking on, they would be thrilled to see what is actually possible in skilled hands. I will be very interested to watch your progress on the St. Louis. She's an interesting model because she shares many similarities with the Heller La Couronne. You are doing a great deal to stretch the minds of impressionable young builders. Keep going!

View attachment 242857View attachment 242859View attachment 242861View attachment 242862View attachment 242863View attachment 242864View attachment 242865View attachment 242873View attachment 242874View attachment 242875View attachment 242867
beautiful model
CONGRATULATIONS Thumbsup Thumbsup :) Exclamation-Mark

Hallo @Broadsides
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BELAYED BIRTHDAY
Sorry for the delay
Birthday-Cake

Back