Airfix Sovereign of the Seas 1:168

Hi, I'm Juan from Uruguay. I'm 37 and I've been getting back to making plastic models. I haven't done this since my early teenage years although I have Made many paper models.

It's hard making time for it in between playing guitar, surfing, training everyday and rock climbing but every chance I get I take advantage of it.

Last year I finally started a 1/196 Revell USS Constitution after years in the shelf. After that came 1/225 Revell's HMS Victor and now finally the Sovereign of the Seas. I've always been drawn to this model.

Started painting parts about 2 months ago, then lots of surfing kept me in the water lol. Now Will be slowly getting back to it.
Here are some pics of the process:

IMG_20230217_235127.jpg

IMG_20230217_230650.jpg
I'd like to add details such as the side port and ladder which is missing from the model. I was going to make wood planking details but I couldn't get it right and ended up pretty happy with the painting overall.

Cheers,

Juan

BTW here are some of the other models I made and some to make:

IMG_20230217_235524.jpg

Revell HMS Victory 1/225. Still have some rigging and the sails to do on this one:
IMG_20230217_235546.jpg

Revell USS Constitution 1/196. Planning to add some extra sails in cloth:
IMG_20230217_235554.jpg

San Salvador galleon 1/100 (free paper model):
IMG_20230217_235558.jpg

And some models to do:
Lee Graf Spee 1/400 (and have a piece of the actual ship's telemeter to put on the base). This one is started but missing a few parts.
Minicraft Cutty Sark 1/180
At the bottom there is a zvezda 1/144 Boeing 747-8
IMG_20230217_235641.jpg

Juan,
I'm a retired chemist who has built models off and on since my youth. Strictly amateur in my efforts. I have to complement you on the level of detail you've been able to add to these kits. The rigging looks very good without being overpowering. Very nice displays. I'm looking forward to seeing your results with the other kits you mentioned.
Best wishes
John

Lots of patience and gluing some more stuff in there (Graf Spee in the back). Now painting the masts, spears and so on. Next I'll try to make the missing side port from the kit with epoxy putty. Also realized that I'm missing some gun ports so I'll see how that goes.

IMG_20230330_235321.jpg

IMG_20230330_235341.jpg

IMG_20230330_235413.jpg

IMG_20230330_235435.jpg

Well a little update. Took some time off for vacations and travel and afterwards I haven't really had the time to sit down and attack the rigging, which is pretty intricate for this model.

I've also been acquiring some new models like a Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark (damn it's freaking huge), and waiting for the arrival of a Revell Titanic (1/570), Airfix's Wasa and a 1/72 P-51 Mustang from Airfix. So I'm back on it!

Started doing the rigging and improvising blocks with ice cream sticks. So far it's looking cool. Ratlines with superglue are always a pain in the arse.

Will update soon!

IMG_20230907_201258.jpg

IMG_20230907_201252.jpg

IMG_20230907_201239.jpg

IMG_20230907_201153.jpg

IMG_20230907_201149.jpg

IMG_20230907_201159.jpg

Hi Juancho! I built the Airfix Sovereign 4 years ago, & the painting was tedious, but the result made it all worthwhile! The results were fantastic & I learned a great deal! I just wish I had taken the rigging farther, but was not aware at the time that I could buy blocks that small & to scale. It still looks great on a shelf, & you have done a great job. Question....did you have a rough time painting the transom? I did at first, but found a perfect way to do fine detail. The result? Beauty! haha

Rick1011

Hi Juancho! I built the Airfix Sovereign 4 years ago, & the painting was tedious, but the result made it all worthwhile! The results were fantastic & I learned a great deal! I just wish I had taken the rigging farther, but was not aware at the time that I could buy blocks that small & to scale. It still looks great on a shelf, & you have done a great job. Question....did you have a rough time painting the transom? I did at first, but found a perfect way to do fine detail. The result? Beauty! haha

Rick1011
Hi Rick! Actually I thought the transom and the gold/black sides were going to be a nightmare but I managed to concentrate and kind of found a "zone" so to speak which made it pretty easy and kind of enjoyable! This will be put to the test again when I start building the Wasa from Airfix. When I get back home I'll try to get a good picture of it.

I know there are blocks I can buy, but as far as I've seen they're more expensive than what I've paid for the ship! And here in Uruguay there are not dedicated stores where I can buy them, so I decided to make my own. Also, I've made many paper and cardboard models and figured I can make pretty small and manageable blocks of that material.

Do you have pics of your sovereign?

Juancho- I don't have pics, because I've never taken the time to figure out how to send them, & phone pics don't do the 14 ships I have on shelves in my model room any justice. The Sovereign sits on a top shelf, with the Airfix Prince just beneath it. I have the second Airfix Vasa on my table, (the first was destroyed when lightning hit just outside my window & knocked it off its shelf), almost finished, along with the Airfix Golden Hind in repair for my great niece. In all, I've built almost every Airfix ship available, I think about nine different ones, but would really like to do the Prince & Sovereign again, this time with much more rigging. The plans are much too simplified, but I can get good blocks from ModelExpo, & I believe they ship world-wide. In all, your version is beautiful, & I hope to see more pics of your work! Afterthought...I discovered using wood stain on plastic after these were built- I wish I'd known how to use it before, the results are 10 times better than paint!

Rick1011

Hi, I'm Juan from Uruguay. I'm 37 and I've been getting back to making plastic models. I haven't done this since my early teenage years although I have Made many paper models.

It's hard making time for it in between playing guitar, surfing, training everyday and rock climbing but every chance I get I take advantage of it.

Last year I finally started a 1/196 Revell USS Constitution after years in the shelf. After that came 1/225 Revell's HMS Victor and now finally the Sovereign of the Seas. I've always been drawn to this model.

Started painting parts about 2 months ago, then lots of surfing kept me in the water lol. Now Will be slowly getting back to it.
Here are some pics of the process:

I'd like to add details such as the side port and ladder which is missing from the model. I was going to make wood planking details but I couldn't get it right and ended up pretty happy with the painting overall.

Cheers,

Juan
Hallo Juan alias @juancho142
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Last edited:
Back