Albatros 1840 a Baltimore Clipper 0 Mantua 1:40 by OldSalt1950

This looked like a good kit to start off modeling with. Scale is large enough to provide plenty of detail, and easy on my fat fingers. It is a POB type kit and calls for double hull planking, mor on that later. I am in the process of acquiring tools and reading and re-reading the meager instructions, and the book " Ship Modeling Simplified". The kit box has been checked, and it appears all the parts necessary to construct the model are on the box. Once all the tools and extra lumber I have ordered arrives, it will time to clear the ways and start construction.

I am looking forward to getting this project launched and learning new skills. The shipyard should be opening within the week.

Today was read and read reread the instruction manual. For what it is worth, it will not be of much use in the build. Will be working off the drawings for the most part, but such is life. There are enough pictures to keep me occupied, but they are not detailed photos of assemblies or the assembly process. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with the kit's short comings. On that note, the reason for ordering additional lumber. The kit has an odd way of planking the hull and uses balsa wood strips for the initial planking. Not even going there. The strips are way too thick to really work with 2mm thick to be exact, Once planked they recommend putting a coat of model aircraft paper (supplied with the kit) over the planking before either painting the hull or re-planking. Neither one of those is going to happen. So, there I stand, "We the untrained, led by the unwilling, have been doing so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do the impossible with nothing".
Construction is still scheduled to begin next week. Further update when they become available.

Waiting is getting nothing done, so decided to do some preliminary work om Albatros. Although my plans do not call for it I started carving the rabbet for the keel. Also glued up the ship's boat, just waiting for it to dry so I can finish shaping it. Pictures to follow.

You'll find that learning new skills is a lot of fun and satisfaction.
You'll find other builds of this kit either here or on modelshipworld.com . I'm using other people's work as reference a lot as I work on my Pride of Baltimore II. Logs of other Baltimore Clippers could be helpful too.

I'm working on the Albatros as well, my first kit build, but from OcCre https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...an-schooner-1-100-by-kramer.9097/#post-221203. OcCre doesn't provide a lot of detailed instructions either, but the pictures are pretty good. I've found this site https://www.occremania.com/ helpful as there are step-by-step videos for some other OcCre ships. And this forum has been tremendous as a reference! Pretty much anything I needed to know I found here. And super helpful fellow modelers. Good luck with your Albatros.

Hi OldSalt1950,
I can't not answer to you because I have lately finished the Mantua Albatros Baltimore Clipper some months ago.
As you will be, I suppose, I have been in pain not to have a real instructions book and accurate drawings. That is why I have spent a lot of time to gather a lot of informations about masting, rigging, gun tackles, hull color, sails and so on. So I had to communicate a lot with nautical specialized forums who helped me a lot. I have so gathered a lot of documents about all theses subjects which were indispensable to understand the ancient nautical practices and so to be able to build a realistic ship model.
I attach a photo of my Baltimore schooner.
Good luck.
Mike

Baltimore Schooner.jpg

Brewerpaul, kramer and Michelnou, thanks for the advice. After pouring over what pass for the instructions on this kit, and reading a number of building blogs, I'm going to wing it from the drawings and pictures. Started prepping everything, decided I'll go with the balsa wood hull planking, as this is refresher training for me for wooden boat kits. My next build kit is on backorder, so I'll have something to look forward to once I get over the learning curve. Mike, your schooner looks great, think my hull will be black.

Looking ahead, I can see a problem with mounting the upper bulwark around the deck. Not much timber to glue to and can't use nails. Will just have to adapt and overcome. I think I have it figured out. Stay tuned to see.

The hull making writes a first milestone in model ship building.
Well done !
Mike

A few more hours left to sand on the hull, then its deck planking time. After that a bit more time sanding. Thanks, Grant.

Have been pouring over the plans and drawings and can see some changes are in store for my build. There are a lot of details missing, such as deck scuppers, the anchor chain will get replaced by rope, will be modifying the tiller for the rubber. The capstan is also in a strange spot, in order to use it the crew would have to step on and over a grated hatch. It is also to far aft on the deck. The transom also needs to be modified. Once I work these issues out, I'll get back to building. Time to get after the Naval architect and ask him what he was thinking.

Time lately has been spent assuring that the deck gratings will fit properly. Do not want the trim raised above the deck, but rather lying flush on it. To accomplish this, 3 frames needed to be trimmed down. Almost there. It is a constant process of trim, sand test fit and trim again if off. Once this is taken care of then deck planking can start in earnest.

Good job but I believe that most of ships of this period were built with clear desk planking.
Mike

The Baltimore Clipper had many variations, and all were "privateer's". Armament varied, ships configuration varied, paint schemes varied. Having lived on the East Coast of the U.S. and been stationed in ports from Florida to Maine, I am quite familiar with the native trees in the area, Pine, Oak, Birch, Spruce, and Walnut abound. All were used in ship construction, a dark colored deck although probably not common would not be out of the realm of possibility. It all depends on the ship's owner.