Albatros by OcCre American Schooner 1:100 by Kramer [COMPLETED BUILD]

The Albatros is my first build, and man I've learned a lot by doing! I was excited to start this hobby last year. I'm starting this build log a little over half way through the build, but here it is anyway. Happy to be here, I'll keep posting.
1642986608230.png

Fore mast is ready. I'm going to assemble the main mast, main gaffs, and main boom before I move forward. Should I attach the fore yards and fore gaff to the fore mast before I attach the fore mast to the deck or after? I want to think ahead. I don't know what will be more difficult, attaching gaffs, yards, and booms after I mount the masts but before I rig everything. Any opinions?
1642986726876.png

Really nice job so far.I just started the same model just doing the first layer of planking,I have not started a build thread yet but will very soon.

The instructions don't give a lot of detail. I've read that's the case with OcCre, not sure about other companies. Should I attach the fore yards and fore gaff to the fore mast before I attach the fore mast to the deck or after? I want to think ahead. I don't know what will be more difficult, attaching gaffs, yards, and booms after I mount the masts but before I rig everything. Any opinions?

I would think yes to yards, but gaffs seem to be harder to control to me and easier to break. Maybe wait on them.

I have a OcCre cross section with mast, and the instructions just said follow the 1:1 drawing for rigging and installation

Thanks Kurt. Makes sense. Didn’t think about the delicate nature of the gaffs, I was only thinking of the rigging. Good advice!

Fore mast is ready. I'm going to assemble the main mast, main gaffs, and main boom before I move forward. Should I attach the fore yards and fore gaff to the fore mast before I attach the fore mast to the deck or after? I want to think ahead. I don't know what will be more difficult, attaching gaffs, yards, and booms after I mount the masts but before I rig everything. Any opinions?
View attachment 285433
On my Bluenose rebuild I attached all booms, gaffs and main sails prior to stepping the masts. That led to all kind of accessibility issues for especially the running rigging. No issues with the booms and gaffs though.
If I were to build a completely new model, I would do as much pre-install as possible; now everything is rather easily accessible, once stepped, the masts sit like half a meter or more above the deck of your model and thus not as easy to access as when the mast are on the bench.

Last edited:
Agree, I'm going to do as much as I can on the bench before I step the masts, but save the gaffs for after.

Kramer I am curious did you do your keel before or after the finish planking? I am thinking I could get a better fit if I do the keel first.

I am going to do the keel first and fit the planks using wood glue instead of contact cement maybe a drop of CA where the plank meets the keel.

I'd love to see your progress and the results. Might be the way to go for my second build.

I am going to do the keel first and fit the planks using wood glue instead of contact cement maybe a drop of CA where the plank meets the keel.
Kramer I am curious did you do your keel before or after the finish planking? I am thinking I could get a better fit if I do the keel first.
Are you als incorporating a rabbet in your keel? That would ensure a better fit of the planks with the keel.
See also this description on the Suburban shipmodeler.

I did not but will in the future. Didn’t really know what it was until I was about done planking. Seems like it’s a pretty different skill to master.

Non l'ho fatto, ma lo farò in futuro. Non sapevo davvero cosa fosse fino a quando non ho finito il fasciame. Sembra che sia un'abilità piuttosto diversa da padroneggiare.
Se il Kit non lo prevede non farla che rischi di rovinare lo scafo

Masts are up! I decided to attach the gaffs, yards, and booms after watching a video on OcCre Mania https://www.occremania.com/. Good step-by-step videos for some OcCre kits. I figured it would be easier to get them all attached and tight before I mounted the masts. Hope this wasn't a mistake and everything isn't in the way. Worst case I can cut the lines and reattach the structures later.
IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg

My first lanyards! I'm sure some of you have done literally thousands, but this feels like a milestone in model ship building. Only have time to work on a couple a day, but already learned a lot. Enjoyed this very much and hope the rest of the rigging goes as well.
IMG_0241.jpeg

Back