All Models "also" located in Gallery Showcase

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

This is just a reminder that ALL the models here in the Completed Models section are ALSO listed in the "Gallery Showcase" listed here:

You can also gain access to the Showcase by clicking on the Scrolling Slideshow at top of the SOS site. You will see that there is listed at the top and bottom a list (SO FAR) of 13 pages. We now have close to 500 ships and boats and a few other non ship items listed there. On average that is probably a total of over 6000 separate images. So, this is also a good resource and research for those that wish to view how others have constructed their models. Unfortunately, so far, there is no "search feature" the gallery ONLY. At some time, I might see if I can program such a thing. This would allow for people to search ONLY the gallery for the model they are looking for. Until then, you have to navigate each page to find what you are looking for.
Of course you also have access to the "SEARCH" button at the top left hand of the site, but I do not think it is LINKED to the Showcase Gallery.

Just as a reminder that some might not know is that you can click on each thumbnail in the Gallery and I have created a special "Page" for each builder. These images have been edited for the best viewing experience. I encourage each person if you have not to try out the Gallery and click on the thumbnails of the ships image to open the modelers personal page.

Thank you again for all your submissions. Please realize that I create the pages and I do this when the time comes.

Please also remember to follow my guidelines in the "Sticky" thread.

Kindly
Donald

Great offering Donnie. Two comments:

- As a suggestion, is it possible to categorise the completed ships in some sort of order (eg oldest first, 1600’s ships, then 1700’s ships, or sailing galleon, clippers, battleships etc). Obviously a Search facility would be the best solution however.

- Secondly, what criteria is used to select the models in the Gallery? Is it based on build standard, photographic excellence, detailed build log, or simply permission and submission by the builder?

Great benefit to all the community Donnie and a credit to SOS and its builders.

Regards
PeterG

Hi Peter,

the Gallery is constructed using Web HTML code manually. If the gallery were to be a database type, then it might be possible to sort and order by whatever the user wanted. I think it is a great idea - but for me to program this - as I am not really a software programmer, but only what I have learned over the years is somewhat limited.

I like for people to take their time and set up a nice background with no clutter. However, I know that this oftentimes can not be accomplished by most folks, (even including myself). I have had images that unfortunately had so much unfocused that very little I could do to 'photoshop' it to make it look better, so I simply could not add this to the gallery as the image(s) were just too out of focus - which is not really that often.

There are really no criteria other than I usually browse the "Contributors" section to see if anyone has posted any completed builds. People are also welcome to just PM me their completed images too.

I use Corel's Paint Shop Pro 2022 version and I have found it does everything that I need.
In case anyone wants to know, below is my basic workflow and it takes about 30 min to an hour to produce each Modelers Submission to the Gallery. Of course that depends on how much cropping, image processing I have to do.

My workflow is that I save all images to a folder.
I used PSP to crop, correct saturation, brightness, white temp (color balance).
I then use PSP to batch process the images to resize them all with a width of 600 (the other length is auto-calculated). It is the width that I am concerned with.
I then use "Mass Image Compressor" to lower the size of the image file down to about 60k
I also use "CofeeCup HTML Editor" to create the special page and FTP upload those to the server.
I then edit the forums templates to display the thumbnails and then the user can click on the thumbnail to view his / her page that was created. Again the templates are all in HTML formatting.

Many thanks Donnie. You have detailed what amounts to a lot of time, work and expertise!!! My compliments - It is some time since I maintained a few small websites, and can appreciate the effort required, especially if you are coding in HTML. Some of the tools, such as PSP help a lot, but you still have to know how to effectively operate them.

A job well done, Sir.

PeterG

Back