Alpha Romeo 8C 2300 Monza - Italeri [COMPLETED BUILD]

Last edited:
Are you planning to sand and polish your paint? I think the reason for your orange peel is that you either sprayed on a coat which was too thick, or your airbrush was too far. Even with an airbrush coat that is perfectly applied, models still benefit from a bit of sanding.

Keith, I knew it was not going to look like it rolled off the showroom floor. Up close, yes, it is not good. I knew I was going to have a hard time with the airbrush as I had no experience. Let's just say it's been around the race track many times and picked up a lot of track debris !!!!
I plan to outfit it with the racing decals and a little black wash. I am surprised that I was even able to get the finish that I did-

A few more items:

I was nervously painting the front car number. The kit supplied a mask that had to be peeled off and applied to the radiator grill. (that white speckled appearance) on the Radiator grill surrounding the number is just a freshly painted flat black touch-up and has not quite dried yet. That is not white over spray.

body14.jpg

body13.jpg

Time for the Wheels and Tires. I did not paint the spoked rims as they really looked great on their own. I used "super lube" to grease the Rims so it will rotate freely as perhaps you can tell from the images.
The steering works, however, I am going to have to modify the steering shaft as it is about 3 to 4 mm too short.

Not quite done - a few more "28" to stay on side and rear and a racing stripe down the sides.

body16.jpg

body17.jpg

body18.jpg

Almost finished. A few more details of adding Car Numbers to the sides and back. Hook up some more hoses, etc. Also, I have to get that steering wheel done. The steering does work by the way. A few touchup areas where the gold over-sprayed, but it was nearly not noticeable. I almost forgot about the Windshield and the chrome hubcaps.

I think overall, I did a pretty good job considering my first Air Brush try.

body19.jpg

body20.jpg

body21.jpg

body22.jpg

body23.jpg

body24.jpg

This has been a fun build - even though encountered a few problems along the way. For one, the steering gearbox was finally built 5 times! The steering rod and other mechanisms were using copper tubes. So, here it is - finally completed.

final-01.jpg

final-02.jpg

final-03.jpg

final-04.jpg

final-05.jpg

final-06.jpg

final-07.jpg

final-08.jpg

final-09.jpg

final-10.jpg

final-11.jpg

final-12.jpg

final-13.jpg

final-14.jpg

final-15.jpg

final-16.jpg

final-17.jpg

final-18.jpg

final-19.jpg

final-20.jpg

I just got this from Model Expo and upon opening the shipping box, I was surprised at how big the model box is. I am not sure when I will start this Build Log, but there is a possibility it might start soon at some point. I just do not have enough working bench room unless I move some stuff around. We will see what happens.
I also ordered the Italeri paint set that is recommended. I had to buy that paint from super-hobby.com which my order is coming from Poland.

Paints:

NAMEITALERI DESIGNATIONFEDERAL STANDARD DESIGNATION
MF Aluminium4677APF.S. 37178
G Black4695APF.S. 17038
MF Gun Meta4681APF.S. 37200
F Leather4674APF.S. 30100
F Medium Brown4306APF.S. 30111
G Red4605APF.S. 11302
G White4696APF.S. 17875

The Alfa Romeo 8C can readily be considered as one of the most famous sports cars of the 1930’s. The 8C designation reference was derived its engine, which was an 8-cylinder in-line supercharged engine with a displacement of 2336 cc. The Alfa Romeo was considered to be ‘state of the art’ at the time for its use of technology, innovative solutions and overall performance. Characterized by solid reliability and drive-ability the 8C won many international racing car competitions of the period. Its name is inexorably linked with the famous Italian racing driver Tazio Nuvolari who won many competitions in the car, including the Targa Florio race in Sicily and the prestigious Italian Grand Prix at Monza. This latter victory gave the “Monza” name to the twin seater GP car. Arising out of the racing version a production batch of almost 200 vehicles was manufactured for general sales.

View attachment 328256

View attachment 328257
Looks great! Good job on this one, Donnie!

Back