Amati 1776 HMS Pegasus

As many have done during the COVID 19 lockdowns I have been more active in my model ship building activities. Two boats I have built have been from Amati. The first was a 1:64 Bounty. I was pleased with the quality of the kit as a whole; however, it turned out to be a frustrating build as the instruction sheets were all in Italian! Yes, they did provide a separate booklet with the English translations but flipping back and forth between the instruction sheets and the booklet was a real pain in the you know what. Fortunately the end result was to my satisfaction. I was hesitant to order a new kit from Amati thinking I would face the same frustration with the instructions but I went ahead and purchased another kit anyway. It was a 1776 HMS Pegasus 1:64 Victory Model. The kit consisted of high quality planking and dowels with many photo-etched brass parts (many of which I did not use as I thought they looked out of place). This time I was pleased to see the instructions on the plan sheets (all 12 of them!) were in both Italian and English. As with most kits there are minor problems that you have to use your modelling skills to work around but this one has a major flaw which cannot be corrected. That flaw is that the spars on the masts are not spaced properly so sails can be mounted and there is so much standing and running rigging that attach to the spars and masts that even if you tried to place sails the lines would literally have to pass through the sails themselves. Amati claim the model to be "historically correct". A ship based on this model would not sail very far! I wondered why sails were not provided! Now I know. I checked build sites of HMS Pegasus and found the exact same deficiencies. Anyway, after a few choice words my wife reminded me that anyone not nautically minded would not know the difference. Hope she is right. Sorry for being so wordy but I thought some readers might benefit from my frustrations.

Hi Bill. I literally just completed the rigging on my Amati HMS Pegasus yesterday, I would have to respectfully disagree with you. The plans show the top and top gallant yards in the lowered position, as they would be when the sails are furled or removed. But there is nothing to stop you placing those yards higher up the mast where they would be when under sail. I rigged my ship exactly as the plans show and there are no rigging lines that would interfere with installing sails.

On my Pegasus I left the yards in the lowered position and added furled sails made of silkspan, I'm very happy with the result. Once I've finished off the model I'll post some pictures, probably some time in the next few weeks.

Hi Bill. I literally just completed the rigging on my Amati HMS Pegasus yesterday, I would have to respectfully disagree with you. The plans show the top and top gallant yards in the lowered position, as they would be when the sails are furled or removed. But there is nothing to stop you placing those yards higher up the mast where they would be when under sail. I rigged my ship exactly as the plans show and there are no rigging lines that would interfere with installing sails.

On my Pegasus I left the yards in the lowered position and added furled sails made of silkspan, I'm very happy with the result. Once I've finished off the model I'll post some pictures, probably some time in the next few weeks.
Thanks T. Yes, when I went back and had a closer look I could see my mistake. I am not sure if I will add furled sails yet. I did buy some silkspan but it is extremely this and not a weave pattern which makes it look more "paper-like" when furled. My wife is a quilter and has some extra fine cotton fabric. I my sew seam lines on it and see how that might work.

That is the first thing I thought of is that they depicted the model with either no sails or furled sails. All the yards are lowered which will very clearly look as if no sails would ever fit. This is normal - no mistakes in model - carry on. Just remember that if you do want furled then make all your yards lowered position.
Also with furled sails, ALL of the sail rigging is still IN PLACE like the bunt lines, clew lines, leech, sheets and so forth. The reason is that the sails are still operational, they are just hoisted is all.
However, with no sails at all, all of the sail management lines are also taken down and stowed. Also, it is a good idea to RIG your yards OFF the ship and lable the lines. Then attach the yards to the mast (jeers etc) then go from that point.

As many have done during the COVID 19 lockdowns I have been more active in my model ship building activities. Two boats I have built have been from Amati. The first was a 1:64 Bounty. I was pleased with the quality of the kit as a whole; however, it turned out to be a frustrating build as the instruction sheets were all in Italian! Yes, they did provide a separate booklet with the English translations but flipping back and forth between the instruction sheets and the booklet was a real pain in the you know what. Fortunately the end result was to my satisfaction. I was hesitant to order a new kit from Amati thinking I would face the same frustration with the instructions but I went ahead and purchased another kit anyway. It was a 1776 HMS Pegasus 1:64 Victory Model. The kit consisted of high quality planking and dowels with many photo-etched brass parts (many of which I did not use as I thought they looked out of place). This time I was pleased to see the instructions on the plan sheets (all 12 of them!) were in both Italian and English. As with most kits there are minor problems that you have to use your modelling skills to work around but this one has a major flaw which cannot be corrected. That flaw is that the spars on the masts are not spaced properly so sails can be mounted and there is so much standing and running rigging that attach to the spars and masts that even if you tried to place sails the lines would literally have to pass through the sails themselves. Amati claim the model to be "historically correct". A ship based on this model would not sail very far! I wondered why sails were not provided! Now I know. I checked build sites of HMS Pegasus and found the exact same deficiencies. Anyway, after a few choice words my wife reminded me that anyone not nautically minded would not know the difference. Hope she is right. Sorry for being so wordy but I thought some readers might benefit from my frustrations.
Hallo @Bill Gray
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Bill Gray
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back