Amati Bismarck 1:200 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Jack,
I hope you don't mind me suggesting ( as I have also built this model ) but you should consider using car body filler over the grey paint above the waterline to cover over the timber planking. Thats what I did with my Bismarck model.

Hi Jack,
I hope you don't mind me suggesting ( as I have also built this model ) but you should consider using car body filler over the grey paint above the waterline to cover over the timber planking. Thats what I did with my Bismarck model.
Oh that's great. I have been stuck on that part. It doesn't look as good as the rest of the hull. Are you referring to that 2 part stuff that smells very strong? Bondo, I think it's called?

Last edited:
I made this part of the hull using a stripe of a white polystyrole sheet 1000 mm long and 1 mm thick. So, this area of the hull is flat without any seams, and there is no need for filling and sanding.

Last edited:
I made this part of the hull using a stripe of a white polystyrole sheet 1000 mm long and 1 mm thick. So, this area of the hull is flat without any seams, and there is no need for filling and sanding.
I should have done that. It is a good idea. Too late now, I guess, so I'll use the Bondo instead

Just joining as a new member here plus this thread. Love this model but absolutely do not have the patience for fitting well over 2000 small parts - but will watch tis thread.

Using body filler is a great way to build low areas but be aware of the pitfalls, Will it stick? Probably but a base coat of primer may work best especiallwith wood, Secondly is that some are very hard to sand. I dislike the Bondo brand fillers, preferring one of the Evercoat versions. Their Lite works well and sands reasonably easy though I generally use their Rage Gold. You can also use what is called a sprayable polyester filler. There are some good guidelines on the web. I used it on a Model A Ford trunk lid as a final finish base that I would swear had been worked over by a large hammer. Absolutely perfect final color finish. And a con - whichever brand you might use, it has gotten very expensive and small quantities (say US quart size) may not be readibly available

With the hull pretty much wrapped up, except for a few touches, the next steps involve working on the ship's superstructures.
@wernerweiss has some great photos of the finished product, which he has so generously added to this build and from them, you can see the complexity of the superstructures of the ship. They are made up of wood, plastic, and PE brass parts.

The key is to build up each superstructure from individual assemblies. Attached below are the parts that make up one of the superstructures. I have been working on priming the pieces(pic2). I still have the main components left to do(pic 3).

BTW, pic1 shows a neat little gadget that I found for helping to paint these small parts. I found it on Amazon, for those interested.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Last edited:
With the hull pretty much wrapped up, except for a few touches, the next steps involve working on the ship's superstructures.
@wernerweiss has some great photos of the finished product, which he has so generously added to this build and from them, you can see the complexity of the superstructures of the ship. They are made up of wood, plastic, and PE brass parts.

The key is to build up each superstructure from individual assemblies. Attached below are the parts that make up one of the superstructures. I have been working on priming the pieces(pic2). I still have the main components left to do(pic 3).

BTW, pic1 shows a neat little gadget that I found for helping to paint these small parts. I found it on Amazon, for those interested.

View attachment 352357

View attachment 352358

View attachment 352359

Hello,

thank you very much for your appreciation!

There are many build logs of this model on youtube, and recently I discovered the two in the following links:

The second link shows the 1/200 model by Trumpeter, and I think this is again a higher level....

Hello,

thank you very much for your appreciation!

There are many build logs of this model on youtube, and recently I discovered the two in the following links:

The second link shows the 1/200 model by Trumpeter, and I think this is again a higher level....

Thank you for the links. cheers.

Thank you for the links. cheers.
yes I saw those. Thank you for your links. I looked at the open box video and attached it to this build. I think the guy is almost finished the boat, if I am not mistaken. Some of the things he does, I don't like and I am more inclined to follow the manual and make my own determinations as I go through it. All in all I am enjoying this build and I am taking my time to finish it; especially with the PE parts which are in some cases a couple of millimeters big.

Last edited:
One thing I wonder, and I can't seem to find an answer is why did the Bismarck go through so many iterations of painting? Maybe I will search a little deeper to see if I can come up with an answer. I think I will be using the following painting scheme as this is the one that the manual recommends:

1674245711958.png

I am slowly loosing steam on this ship. It is turning out to be quite a handful with those PE parts. It's a beast! I had to try to see if I like doing this sort of building or not. Fortunately I have many in the dockyard so maybe I'll start a new one and put this one aside for the time being.

Jack, perhaps sitting the Bismarck aside for a while will pay big dividends in the long run. You can relax and look over your kits inventory. Pick out an easier one that you can really sink your teeth into and start fresh. Not only will it be a new kit but it will help to build your confidence and be fun to finish it to conclusion. Magic Mike

I am slowly loosing steam on this ship. It is turning out to be quite a handful with those PE parts. It's a beast! I had to try to see if I like doing this sort of building or not. Fortunately I have many in the dockyard so maybe I'll start a new one and put this one aside for the time being.
Wow, Jack! I think I did a Revell model of the Bismarck when I was 13.

Back