Amati Bismarck 1:200 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I just bought another - I had an Iwata hp-bcs but it’s a siphon unit, good for lots of paint but not for switching colors or small jobs so I bought another Iwata hp-cs… it’s a gravity feed, I really like them, they haven’t been too hard to adapt to the learning curve…. Just gotta figure in the compressor as part of the requirements…. I use the Harbor Freight 3 gallon unit for mine…. And I do as Brian suggests - glue the photo etch on and then paint, unless the photo etch part is supposed to be a different color of course….

I just bought another - I had an Iwata hp-bcs but it’s a siphon unit, good for lots of paint but not for switching colors or small jobs so I bought another Iwata hp-cs… it’s a gravity feed, I really like them, they haven’t been too hard to adapt to the learning curve…. Just gotta figure in the compressor as part of the requirements…. I use the Harbor Freight 3 gallon unit for mine…. And I do as Brian suggests - glue the photo etch on and then paint, unless the photo etch part is supposed to be a different color of course….
Thank you. Glad to hear about the learning curve not being too steep.

I have started the planking of the Bismarck. As per the instructions, I plank alternating between plank 23 to bow and plank 19 to stern. If I do this correctly, I should have 25 planks for each side. I don't have any plans at this time to use strakes to layout the hull planking. I think it may be sufficient just to follow the instructions. The hull is going to be painted anyways, so who cares.

Figures 1 and 2 show the progress on my planking, not very much, and the instructions for planking the hull.

FIgure 3 shows the top of the boat. According to the instructions, the deck is to be made removable as this boat can be converted to an R/C boat. I have no intention of doing this, so I glued everything on. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

20220214_103903.jpg20220214_104005.jpg20220214_103931.jpg

I purchased an airbrush/compressor kit. Received it today. Will try it when the weather is warmer outside. It's right on budget at 200$ CAD. For now it is sufficient for my purposes. Thanks again for the feedback.
1644903126628.png

You will like the airbrush, very consistent and controllable spray, you might need to let that compressor catch up every once in awhile… or add a bigger storage tank - I think harbor freight sells a 5 gal. one for $40 or so…..

I purchased an airbrush/compressor kit. Received it today. Will try it when the weather is warmer outside. It's right on budget at 200$ CAD. For now it is sufficient for my purposes. Thanks again for the feedback.
View attachment 290996
I JAck,

I purchased simuilar item and I am very happy with it. 200$ CAD from amazon.ca. I think these kind of airbrush is sufficient for ship modeling.

91MbIkS1MWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Progress continues. I have Finished putting on all the easy planks of the first layer of planks. I intentionally made the planking so that all the wedges etc are on the bottom of the ship. Figure 1 shows the progress and Figure 2 show the bottom of the boat with some of the wedges made. I predict that there will be a lot of patching and sanding. I don't know if there is an easier way to do this as it is an unusual hull, but I figured this approach would work.

20220218_101146.jpg20220218_101159.jpg

Last edited:
The flat bottom of the boat is difficult to plank and in particular the transition from the side of the hull to the bottom of the hull. You can imagine that there are many twisted planks and lateral bends. I wonder if there would have been an easier way to do this?

Back