Amati Santa Maria

Hi Everyone,
Ive been working on the ship for several weeks now and have finally finished the first planking. Its filled sanded and smoothed ready for the the second planking, but where do i start? Is it best to go from the keel up or the top down? Is there a particular style or pattern to follow? Should i uses full length planks or cut them? Should i cover the stern before the main hull? Sorry for all the questions, but i really want to get this right. Thanks for any help.

IMG20240504141006.jpg

A lot of questions so maybe it is allowed to make first a link to another building log showing these works in good photos

Usually the stern is planked first and the hull planking is covering the stern planking

here an old painting showing this principle
Screenshot 2024-05-06 105046.png

Yes, stern first. I planked top down apart from the final 2 or 3 then planked up from the keel. I tapered all planks so that a whole plank would tun stem to stern with no marked discontinuity in the line of the seams a[art from a limited number of pointy ended drop planks. This was just my personal choice. There are other options that are just as valid. Some modellers will chop the planks for authenticity. I keep them whole favouring display appearance. Your call.
2nd planking.jpg santa Maria2.jpg

Hi Everyone,
Ive been working on the ship for several weeks now and have finally finished the first planking. Its filled sanded and smoothed ready for the the second planking, but where do i start? Is it best to go from the keel up or the top down? Is there a particular style or pattern to follow? Should i uses full length planks or cut them? Should i cover the stern before the main hull? Sorry for all the questions, but i really want to get this right. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 445638
Here are all building logs we have with the Amati Santa Maria

Back