Amerigo Vespucci

Is it the Mantua / Panart 1:84 kit?
It is a very long adventure to build it: bravo for this result!
I had the chance to climb on it and be able to visit it quietly when he came to France a few years ago. I had all the time and very few visitors going there very early in the morning.

The crew was also very available and welcoming. The Italian officer cadets were all aware of sailing on a superb ship and one of the most beautiful 3 masts sailing still existing... :cool:

That is an old quality kit. Extremely detailed and a difficult build. Just the long boats alone as each one was a build of its own. Very nice work.

Vince P. Ship-1

Wow beautiful ship. How long did it take to build her?
Sorry for the long delay to reply to your kind letter, Buffalo Jack, what a great name!
Cannot remember how long to build, maybe 2 to 3 years, looking at it now I think it was my best made model although not perfect, I think it was the last Kit model I made as for the last few years it's only been scratch models, more difficult without plans, what timber and fittings to buy etc.
The last one I nearly finished was the Brunels Great Britain which I shucked in the dustbin after 2 years!!!!
Now it's HMS Gannet a gun ship.
Keep well
Paul

I've just finished my second build (the Endurance) and am looking for my next project, maybe the Amerigo Vespucci because I prefer building the more modern ships.
Was the kit by Occre or Panart? The latter costs double and I am wondering if it is worth the extra.

I've just finished my second build (the Endurance) and am looking for my next project, maybe the Amerigo Vespucci because I prefer building the more modern ships.
Was the kit by Occre or Panart? The latter costs double and I am wondering if it is worth the extra.
Hola Amigo
Yes it's a beautiful ship and my kit was by Panart and cost me about £500 20 years, now the cost is £759.
I always deal with Cornwall Model Boats UK and they are showing at least 10 different kits for the ship also they have a large list of fittings also.
It is all about how much you want to spend! I do not know the other kits listed but I bought the best but its a complicated build and also there are maybe 100 deck fittings. First look at their website.
Maybe you could email Cornwall Model Boats and ask there opinion, they are nice people.
Have luck
Paul

Hola Amigo
Yes it's a beautiful ship and my kit was by Panart and cost me about £500 20 years, now the cost is £759.
I always deal with Cornwall Model Boats UK and they are showing at least 10 different kits for the ship also they have a large list of fittings also.
It is all about how much you want to spend! I do not know the other kits listed but I bought the best but its a complicated build and also there are maybe 100 deck fittings. First look at their website.
Maybe you could email Cornwall Model Boats and ask there opinion, they are nice people.
Have luck
Paul
Thanks for the help but approaching 1000€ is beyond my budget. The Occre versión is much cheaper but then the quality must be less and I don't want to feel that I was forced into second best. Looks like the Amerigo Vespucci will have to wait until another time.

Hi
I think you should get the Occre kit, it,s still about a metre long and looks very nice. You had decided you wanted this model and all our lives we have to go for 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th best! buying a car, house food even.
Saw that on You Tube if you put in Occre Amerigo Vespucci kit a nice video comes on, I did not watch it bu it should help with your decision
You do what you think is best
Paul

Hi
I think you should get the Occre kit, it,s still about a metre long and looks very nice. You had decided you wanted this model and all our lives we have to go for 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th best! buying a car, house food even.
Saw that on You Tube if you put in Occre Amerigo Vespucci kit a nice video comes on, I did not watch it bu it should help with your decision
You do what you think is best
Paul
Thanks for the advice. You are right of course. However I have decided to go for the Mantua/Panart kit 1:84. I have found it on ebay for 750€ so, given that it will probably take me 2 years to build, it is pretty good value for money and hopefully a more satisfying project.
I just hope my skill level can rise to the challenge.
So (gulp!) here goes, caution to the wind...

Well done friend
I cannot see why your worried if you can build this model.
Just looked at you Endurance and I wish I had your skills, it's beautiful!
I am just good at bodging, I do not have enough patience to try to create perfection, to me it's just a hobby doing what I'm capable of doing.
Good luck!
Paul

Well done friend
I cannot see why your worried if you can build this model.
Just looked at you Endurance and I wish I had your skills, it's beautiful!
I am just good at bodging, I do not have enough patience to try to create perfection, to me it's just a hobby doing what I'm capable of doing.
Good luck!
Paul
Thanks, Paul. You are too modest about your skills. Your AV looks good to me!
I don't get back to the UK much any more but will probably visit my daughter in July (Nottingham). Where are you based?

Back