An old newbie

Hi all. I am living in a retirement village near to Lake Taupo New Zealand. I am totally new to ship building, but I need something to occupy my mind.

I have come across a drawing, by the Swedish designer Chapman, of a 26 24 pound cannon and 14 coronade Frigate called "Adolphe". If anybody has any info on this ship I'd be grateful.

Regards John

Hi all. I am living in a retirement village near to Lake Taupo New Zealand. I am totally new to ship building, but I need something to occupy my mind.

I have come across a drawing, by the Swedish designer Chapman, of a 26 24 pound cannon and 14 coronade Frigate called "Adolphe". If anybody has any info on this ship I'd be grateful.

Regards John
Hi John,
Welcome aboard!
Did you try the Stockholm Maritime Museum? There are a few very friendly women there!
János

Hi John,
Welcome aboard!
Did you try the Stockholm Maritime Museum? There are a few very friendly women there!
János
Greetings aboard, John, One large benefit to SoS is that there are so many model builders who have done extensive research into many topics so it is very likely that you will be provided search links up to direct information to your questions. Enjoy the hobby and disregard the time that a model may take as the time is well spent and the completed project is not an end but the beginning of the next build. Rich (PT-2)

Regards John
Hallo John,

first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Maybe you by yourself some more data of this ship / drawing, so we have some more basic data for the research. Or you could make a photo of this plan...

On Threedecks there is no swedish or friagte Adolphe listed (only smaller vessels), but I found a swedish east indiaman 60gun Fourth Rate ship of the line 'Prins Fredrik Adolf' (1763) which was converted to a 24 gun Swedish Merchant east indiaman 'Adolph Friedric' (1763)

this information (in threedecks) is based on this page

Here you can find a list of the existing swedish frigates

In digital museum there is a model of the 60-gun KRONPRINS GUSTAF ADOLF (1782) based on Chapman shown

View attachment 274018

and another model KRONPRINS GUSTAF ADOLF (1782) based on Chapman

View attachment 274019

You can find several detailed photos of these models also for download

The photo views in the cut-away model are outstanding and really present the excellent craftmanship of the model. Thanks for posting this eye-candy. Rich (PT-2)

Regards John
Hallo John alias @johnd2117
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your research for the Chapman frigate going?

Thank you for the Birthday greetings.

I have found a set of 20 plans for the HMS Enterprise with an immense amount of information, including rigging and decoration. So I've taken the easy option and I'll go with that one.

I am working on a canal boat at the moment and my wife has laid down the law, I will not start anything else until I finish the canal boat. :(

Happy Christmas to every one out there. Regards John.

Thank you for the Birthday greetings.

I have found a set of 20 plans for the HMS Enterprise with an immense amount of information, including rigging and decoration. So I've taken the easy option and I'll go with that one.

I am working on a canal boat at the moment and my wife has laid down the law, I will not start anything else until I finish the canal boat. :(

Happy Christmas to every one out there. Regards John.
Send us a Christmas present with a photo of your canal boat. . . Please!!!! Rich (PT-2)

There's not much to show yet. I've the bottom (not really a keel as they have flat bottom) and the bow is partially constructed.

We did a two week cruise on the midland canals of the UK in the summer of 2015. I have to say it was one of the best holidays I've had.

The canal boat is making progress, as you can see I have the hull constructed. I was following sum plans that I purchased some years ago, with the intension of constructing the canal boat. Now that it's getting close to finishing the cabin I find that the proportion are incorrect. The bow is too short and the hight of the cabin is too low. It's my first attempt and I'll put it down to experience. :)

Attachments

• 20220118_095415.jpg
    20220118_095415.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220118_095435.jpg
    20220118_095435.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220118_095442.jpg
    20220118_095442.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220118_095813.jpg
    20220118_095813.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7
The canal boat is making progress, as you can see I have the hull constructed. I was following sum plans that I purchased some years ago, with the intension of constructing the canal boat. Now that it's getting close to finishing the cabin I find that the proportion are incorrect. The bow is too short and the hight of the cabin is too low. It's my first attempt and I'l
The canal boat is making progress, as you can see I have the hull constructed. I was following sum plans that I purchased some years ago, with the intension of constructing the canal boat. Now that it's getting close to finishing the cabin I find that the proportion are incorrect. The bow is too short and the hight of the cabin is too low. It's my first attempt and I'll put it down to experience. :)

l put it down to experience. :)I
I suspect that only you and your eyes see any proportional distortions. Not know what the proportions should be I can only look at the boat as it is. Keep on with your work and concerns for a correct, in you mind, model and it will be well done, IMHO. Rich (PT-2)

There's not much to show yet. I've the bottom (not really a keel as they have flat bottom) and the bow is partially constructed.

We did a two week cruise on the midland canals of the UK in the summer of 2015. I have to say it was one of the best holidays I've had.
A canal trip in 80's on a long boat also has fond memories for me.
Look forward to seeing your progress as I don't remember seeing a model of one.

Well it's finished all but a couple of details, like a prop. I need to take a rest now and evaluate where I could have done it better. As a first attempt I feel that it ok.

I came across some plans for Goelette Marseille 1764 while browsing on the Web, then, while browsing on EBAY, I found someone selling the hardware and plans for this boat, so I bought it. It looks like that might be my next project then. It'll probably take months for the package to arrive in NZ, as it's coming from Italy, with state of world mail services at the moment. Ha Ho.

20220305_114846.jpg

20220305_115028.jpg

20220305_115123.jpg

Back