An unimportant ring bolt question

I'm wondering why and where they used ring bolts and eye bolts. Why would they bother to use a ring bolt when you can tie/splice a rope into an eye just as well? By a ring bolt I'm meaning an eye bolt with a ring through the eye.

I'm wondering why and where they used ring bolts and eye bolts. Why would they bother to use a ring bolt when you can tie/splice a rope into an eye just as well? By a ring bolt I'm meaning an eye bolt with a ring through the eye.
Hello, Don. Here is what I know about it:

An eye bolt is a bolt with a loop at one end. They are used to firmly attach a securing eye to a structure, so that ropes or cables may then be tied to it. The main disadvantage of eye bolts is reduced angular lifts. An eye bolt with a collar (shoulder) is suitable for use with angular loads up to 45°.

1653678195834.png

A ring bolt is an eye bolt with a captive ring passing through it. The loose ring is articulated, such that it can rotate in at least one axis, and can thus reduce bending forces on the bolt when loaded and will present the minimum obstruction when "flat".

Thanks Jim I can see the reduction in rated load for an eye bolt but wouldn't the ring work at the same angles and have the same limitations. Once the load is on, the ring just kinda acts like an extension to the rope. I reserve the right to be wrong :) :)

Thanks Jim I can see the reduction in rated load for an eye bolt but wouldn't the ring work at the same angles and have the same limitations. Once the load is on, the ring just kinda acts like an extension to the rope. I reserve the right to be wrong :) :)
The loose ring is articulated, such that it can rotate in at least one axis, and can thus reduce bending forces on the bolt when loaded.

Back