Ancre books and plans - Bonhomme Richard

Hey - Like said I'm preparing to start with the Bonhomme Richard 1779 - and although I received the plans via email it doesn't feel right.
So I want to purchase the book and plans from Ancre. But I have a question before I make the purchase.

Are the plans which are included with the book 1:48 scale -printed on sheets or is it some sort of foldout attached to the book. I hope it's not the latter.

What if I wanted more than one copy of the drawings - so I can cut one set and use them while sawing - do I then need to purchase two books? Or can I purchase them separately.
Or am I allowed to go to my local copy shop and make copies for personal use since I am the owner of the drawings I already purchased.

Thanks

Hello, All ANCRE plan sets never come folded in the monographs, they are printed on separate sheets and accompanying the book. The number of sheets depends on the specific monograph. Here are said 26 plates of plans at 1:48. Optionally, you can purchase the plans set (21 plates without sails) at 1:36. Check the link below.

CONTENTS OF THE MONOGRAPH​

A 64-page brochure, 24x31cm format, including :

- John Paul Jones, US NAVY vessel captain
- The battle of Cape Flaniborough
- Remarks on reconstructing Le Bonhomme Richard
- Commentaries on the plates
- Rigging rules
- Guns
- Note on metal works
- Marks and flags, paint
- Presentations of models
- The designs are intended to facilitate the construction of the framework.

Set of 26 plates at 1:48 scale
(except plates 24, 25, and 26 at 1:64 scale) including
:

- Frame, waterlines, sections
- Wooded frame; structure
- Layout of the structure of the hull, drawing of all frames at 1:48 scale
- Design of decks
- Cross and longitudinal sections
- Ship's boat, anchors, guns
- Fittings
- Masts and spars, rigging, sails
- Definition of the hull at 1:64 scale

'm so excited. Can't wait to start building. Next paycheck will get cut in half for this book and planset and the last preparations for the build but the shop s almost prepped...
51 y/o child frantically jumping around from excitement... ROTF

i guess you know the feeling
Yea...we hear you, we know exactly what you are feeling, and cannot wait to see your build log!!!

I'm so excited. Can't wait to start building. Next paycheck will get cut in half for this book and planset and the last preparations for the build but the shop s almost prepped...
51 y/o child frantically jumping around from excitement... ROTF

i guess you know the feeling

Typical symptoms of Ship Modelling Virus.

I'm very sorry because there is no cure for it.

You must start your build immediately.

Also you can share your enthusiasm with us by starting a build log here in SOS. ROTFROTF

and although I received the plans via email it doesn't feel right.
Dedoo...how did you manage to get copies of the plans via email. Did these come from Ancre.

no - someone from a forum offered me these. I'm guessing they were illegally copied by someone and put on the web.
But - like said it doesn't feel right as someone did a lot of work making these and i feel the person that needs credit should be credited.

Please don't ask me for a copy I wont send it :)

no - someone from a forum offered me these. I'm guessing they were illegally copied by someone and put on the web.
But - like said it doesn't feel right as someone did a lot of work making these and i feel the person that needs credit should be credited.

Please don't ask me for a copy I wont send it :)
Dedoo. Thanks for your honest reply. I thought I may have missed something when I bought my copy of the Rochefort plans...not yet started because I am having trouble getting them copied.

I just purchased the book and drawings.

I searched for almost 10 minutes to find my country in the list when I registered on the website lol
Turned out the only country they didn't translate to english was mine. Pays Bas is the Netherlands I had to go back 35 years in my mind to remember this from my French classes at school back in the days when I did not have a beard yet.

Anyone have an idea if they ship quickly?

not yet started because I am having trouble getting them copied.

Yeah I intent to make a copy of the plans as well. The only plans I could buy w/o the book were the 1:36 scale - I don't think it's possible to just buy the drawings.
You could try sending them a message though maybe they have an option to just buy the drawings and I missed it. Wanted to book for reference anyway.

Be absolutely sure if you make copies at your local copy shop that it comes out in the exact same scale. Only a millimeter difference can ruin your build - it adds up quickly

Last edited:
ANCRE publication house never sells their monographs in .PDF format, ONLY printed in publishing house! If you downloaded a PDF file, most likely you are using an illegally copied file.
A better way, to buy the monograph to support authors of their tremendous works! :)

I hope this member is not part of the SOS family, but if he\she is, please explain to this member to avoiding sharing the copyrighted material in the future.

I hope this member is not part of the SOS family
He's not - I said from - a - forum not This forum :)

Just to be clear - I received and accepted the drawings for reference only - Like said - I will not -ever - forward these to someone else. And I just purchased the plans from Ancre. I was just being honest about how I first came by these drawings. I never intended on using them for my build.

As a professional I work(ed) with Canon, Nashua, Océ and now Ricoh. Al were or are Hi end machines and way better than the average copyshop machines but non of them are 100% accurate in there copying. There is always a (very) light skew and 100% is not always 100%. So be very careful when copying or printing.

Back