Annealing & Soldering

I started work on Piroscaf's Steam Cutter, which arrived last week and have come up with a problem when annealing the photo etched parts. Being new to this type of work, I read the threads on the topic in SoS, I heated the sheets till they glowed red and then air cooled them. The problem I have is that the photo etched sheets now have changed from copper/brass(?) to a very faint pinkish rainbow coppery colouring! Is this what should happen or should I now clean the surface, and if so, what with?

I also tried soldering two parts together, but the solder will not flow into the joint, but stick together using CA (Super Glue).

Suggestions and advice will be very welcome.

I must say that the accuracy of the laser cut parts and the etched detail on the surface is of a very high standard, and the instructions are very good (apart from some of the English) but that is forgiven. My only concern is in my ability of handling some of the very tiny parts, both in the plastic and metal parts, that are in the kit. All good as it is certainly a challenge.

A few pictures to show progress

Regards

JohnK1lr.jpg7lr.jpg10lr.jpg16lr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The annealed parts now have a coating of oxidized brass. Even using flux you may not be able to solder the parts. Try dipping them into white vinegar this will take off the oxidation and may even bring back the color. This is also a good practice for preparing the parts for painting. After cleaning the part be careful not to touch the part. Oils from you skin hinder from you from getting a good solder joint.
As for handeling and holding the parts for soldering. I make jigs out of card stock (67lb/180gsm) that hold the part in the position you want. Dip the jig in water. Mount the parts in the jig apply. soldering flux and solder.

Jim

Hello John!
I fully agree with Jim and his approach to happy soldering. Normally, the color changed after an annealed process. You have to clean it to remove oxidation. Personally, I use a product called Sparex 2. If you cannot find this product, you can simply use vinegar as Jim @Jim Nunn suggested in the above post.
1621124386179.png
Both soldering parts must not have gaps and absolutely clean, otherwise, the solder will not flow.

Also, I highly suggest starting a build log, where you can post any questions related to your build. This is the best way to interact with members.

Back