Another 1/200 Arizona Build (I am afraid)...

Hi Everyone,
Some have you might have seen I put some posts up regarding the 1/200 Titanic I am building.
This Project is very much on the go, but with such a massive investment that I have made on her, I cannot afford (literally) to mess her up.
As I have come over from the Dark Side of Military Vehicle Model building, I thought an investment into a smaller 1/200 scale for me to 'practice on' would be wise.

So I have plumbed for the 1/200 Trumpeter Arizona...

A bit strange for the first thread but I was hoping on opinions before I carry on with the Hull?

Doing my research, I have noted large almost cast port hulls on both Arizona and Pennsylvania;

1644909398005.png

Appreciate this is Pennsylvania with the Port Holes blocked out for Wartime Service...

The issue I found with my kit is with any moulded kit, holes on angle faces become elongated.
So, I found some Micro Eyelets at 1.5mm internal Diameter and 2mm External and after countersinking the hull;

1644909743568.png

So, your honest opinion all, is this too much?

Cheers
Steve

Maybe there is chance to flatten the rings?
when we take a look at the lower group:
- the five on the left side are looking much more dominant like the five on the right side (which are looking more realistiv in my opinion

Ah,
The reason for the prominent bottom row is because I wanted to point the Portholes out to sea rather than down onto the Ocean with the angle of the bow...
Have I done this incorrectly?

Last edited:
I just built the 1/200 missouri and almost finished the 1/200 hood with its PE everywhere and will be starting arizona soon when I've the PE and wooden deck, I bought it for a easier build lol

Hi Everyone,
Some have you might have seen I put some posts up regarding the 1/200 Titanic I am building.
This Project is very much on the go, but with such a massive investment that I have made on her, I cannot afford (literally) to mess her up.
As I have come over from the Dark Side of Military Vehicle Model building, I thought an investment into a smaller 1/200 scale for me to 'practice on' would be wise.

A bit strange for the first thread but I was hoping on opinions before I carry on with the Hull?

Doing my research, I have noted large almost cast port hulls on both Arizona and Pennsylvania;

View attachment 290998

Appreciate this is Pennsylvania with the Port Holes blocked out for Wartime Service...

The issue I found with my kit is with any moulded kit, holes on angle faces become elongated.
So, I found some Micro Eyelets at 1.5mm internal Diameter and 2mm External and after countersinking the hull;

View attachment 290999

Cheers
Steve
Love the look, they work well. I have been searching for those "micro eyelets" for ages. Can you say where you got them. I too am in the UK

Hi Everyone,

View attachment 290998

View attachment 290999

Cheers
Steve
Morning Steve,
Must be something with guys called 'Steve'. I too am currently working the 1/200 Titanic and have the Arizona partially constructed but on hold whilst I work my Titanic. Have build logs on both, so would be keen to follow your build on this beauty, as well as your Titanic once you get underway. On the portholes, and this is just me personally, the only thing 'wrong' is the eyelets appear out of scale with the rest of the moulded ports. May look totally different when painted of course.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve

The Portholes should be flat to the hull face, even if it slopes downward.I wonder if you may be better gluing styrene rod into the holes, sanding flush and drilling a new porthole that is true.
If you are doing this as a learning curve, don't overly research Arizona,I have seen one build of this kit where half the hull had been cut apart to make the shape accurate.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back