Another Brigantine Phoenix by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sure, as soon as I figure out how to use it again. Lately it’s been very hit and miss for me. I have to pin down the right kind of thread, and how it’s wound.
So far the variables for me seem to be:
1 type of thread - cotton or polyester
2 how it’s wound - spool or ball (with a ball it ends up bouncing around on the floor as you wind the bobbin and this puts twist in the thread)
3 3 or 4 threads, with or without a center cable
4 adjusting the different control knobs as you wind the rope.

I will be using it a lot more when I start my 1/48 AL Surprise.
I will say that when you get it working right it’s really cool. It was working pretty well for me back in 2017, so I must be doing something wrong lately.

Last edited:
Dear Paul. You have built an amazing ship. I have long been interested in Master Korabel and there is no doubt as to the quality of the kit. BUT ... that alone does not guarantee success! In my opinion, you have executed an incredibly neat and accurate build. There is a great deal of precision in your build which I admire. Keep up the good work!

PS: I would have loved to seen a build log from the very beginning.

Dear Paul. You have built an amazing ship. I have long been interested in Master Korabel and there is no doubt as to the quality of the kit. BUT ... that alone does not guarantee success! In my opinion, you have executed an incredibly neat and accurate build. There is a great deal of precision in your build which I admire. Keep up the good work!

PS: I would have loved to seen a build log from the very beginning.
Well said - I underline your words completely
well done @paulb

_FPB7273.jpg
Looking great, Paul, but I have a question about this photo of the tops.
I'm a total noob still on my first build, but I thought that if there were 3 crosstrees in the tops, there would be one abaft the larger mast, one forward of the smaller mast, and the third between the two masts. Are there perhaps different traditions or methods in this regard, vis. different ship types or national tradition?

A little more progress. All of the ratlines are done as well as the yardarms. The two top yardarms were walnut dowels, both of which broke so I had to make up new one's from some dowels that I had on hand. I've added brass rod pins to the yardarms to make it easier to attach to the masts. I painted them Tamiya flat black; next I will add the blocks to the yards then the sails.
IMG_0516.jpg

Last edited:
Well - for some reason the lacquer didn't do the job of securing the reefing lines as well as I had hoped. It's kinda hit and miss. This is odd because the same technique worked very well for my Victory build. On to plan B.

OK - Plan B. I first glued the reefing lines down with diluted Aleen's No Sew Fabric glue. Then soaked the sails in watered down with Golden GAC 400 which stiffens textiles. The sails were then hung up to dry. I plan on then soaking the sails in some Minwax Golden Oak - this worked well on the Victory build. I'll post the success of this (failure is not an option - lol).
IMG_0521PS.jpgIMG_0522PS.jpgIMG_0523PS.jpgIMG_0524PS.jpg

Back