Another Jim Byrnes saw is on EBay.

Unless Byrnes Model Machines has very recently reopened (Jim Byrnes died 4-5 months ago) new saws are unobtainable.

Roger

I actually like an old Dremel tablesaw I found at a yard sale as much as my tilting arbor Micromark saw. And frankly, the little Proxxon bench saw gets the most use.

Master model maker Harold Hahn built his stunning POF models using a full sized table saw fitted with an 8in Sears Kromedge Thin Rip Veneer Blade. Following his lead, I built a POF model: Pear, Boxwood, Holly, also using a full sized table saw with the same type blade. A miniature table saw is nice but not necessary if you have room for a much less expensive full sized table saw.

Roger

Master model maker Harold Hahn built his stunning POF models using a full sized table saw fitted with an 8in Sears Kromedge Thin Rip Veneer Blade. Following his lead, I built a POF model: Pear, Boxwood, Holly, also using a full sized table saw with the same type blade. A miniature table saw is nice but not necessary if you have room for a much less expensive full sized table saw.

Roger
I can tell you from experience with many year's of using a full size table saw for full size woodworking, that cutting the kind of small strips that are used in model ships is a challenge.
Yes it can be done with custom zero clearance blade inserts but not fun.

Just for you information. eBay listing of a few days ago went for $4,250. This is not a tool anymore. It is a fetish.

now it is getting ridiculous the second one is listed at $1,200.00 plus $150.00 shipping well unless they are made of gold.

if your going to spend $4,200.00 you can have a shop with a bandsaw and a thickness sander with money left over.

i use a bandsaw to resaw never did use a 4 inch table saw.

either a fetish or owning a Byrnes saw put you in the elite group of builders.
Way back, i am talking way back years ago the NRG was seen as some elitest group that only used the most expensive exotic woods and only the most expensive tools. they looked down on kit builders and historically accurate scratch built models were the only accepted true models.

the real truth is you do not need to get a second mortgage to buy the tools.

bandsaw.JPGCapturets.JPG

Apparently Byrnes saws have become collectors items!

My post regarding use of a full sized table was offered as an encouragement for those believing that it impossible to do high quality work without one of these now very expensive tools. The use of zero clearance inserts, now available for common table saw brands, fine toothed hollow ground blades, and thin rip saw guides can make a full sized table saw a practical alternative. Both the full sized saw and its miniature cousins are potentially dangerous tool requiring respect from the user. The operator’s fingers are actually closer to the blade using the miniature saws. The Byrnes saw, yes I have one bought many years ago, does not tolerate a slightly misaligned fence or a blade requiring attention. It easily stalls. My full sized saw has ample power to keep cutting until the job is done.

Roger

The Byrnes saw, yes I have one bought many years ago, does not tolerate a slightly misaligned fence or a blade requiring attention. It easily stalls. My full sized saw has ample power to keep cutting until the job is done.

that is something to consider when buying any power tool is the power of the motor. I learned that the hard way when you push a tool to its limits you shorten its life. You are stressing everything out from the motor to the actual machine and bearings etc.
over the years i have collected tiny tools but rarely use them. Everything i do from resawing lumber to fine milling is all done on full size woodworking
tools
like loading a 1/2 ton pickup truck with a ton of gravel your going to break something.

What the Byrnes Saw does very well is cut thin brass; tubing, sheet and structural shapes. It uses the same blades as dedicated metal cutting tools. Distortion cutting of brass sheet can be difficult. Temporarily glued to a craft plywood backing brass sheet is easily cut with the saw.

Roger

Back