Another Newbie

Hello to all! I am just about to start the construction of the Artesania Latina kit "King of the Mississippi." I've not made a model of this type, although I have built many RC and Rubber-powered airplanes, a 1952 MG from a kit, a boat and and a flying airplane. I like to build things. I live in the middle of Iowa, and have lots of history with the Mississippi and the Skunk and the Missouri rivers. I was a manufacturing Plant Manager, an Industrial Engineer, and owned and operated a hardware store. Also have 5 kids and many grand and great-grand children.
What's your advice on modern glues for this kit? Elmers, or Gorilla, or Cyanoacrylate?

Hello Robert, and welcome aboard SOS!! We are glad you found us and wishing you to enjoy here. Before I will answer your question about glue, may I suggest you start a building log of King of the Mississippi. This is a great way to interact with members and ask for help if required. What do you think? Just follow the link below and click 'post a thread'!

Now back to your question. We have so many threads about various glues and their use cases. The short answer is: for wood try using 'wood glue'. There are many brands and blends. each has its own characteristics. Most likely you will need to experiment until you will find your own preferable brand\blend. You cannot go wrong with TiteBond or Elmer's brands. Check the below link.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard, Bob.
As for glues, I tend to use Elmer's and Gorilla wood glue. If the need arises I have used ca glue as well.

Welcome!!

I tend to like WeldBond. It has fast initial tack and can fill gaps. Much easier to remove after it dries than TiteBond (which is impossible). Debonds with rubbing alcohol. For planking, I use a dot of WeldBond and a dot of gel CA glue at each frame/ bulkhead. Hold pressure a few seconds and the CA acts as a chemical clamp. No external clamping needed! Practice the technique before using.

Just my 2 cents...works for me!

Thanks to all of you! I have just ordered Wellbond. I have now on hand Elmer's, two cyanos and two sticks of glue from my aircraft builds. Also have alcohol.
Yesterday I glued false keel and frames and knightheads and upper stem from the kit. Have sanded edges of frames to smooth with the bottom board. Used Elmer's glue (White.) Will attempt soaking and forming bulkheads next.

I agree with DocBlake. He is also a master builder that I refer to often.

Welcome aboard, Bob! I am quite sure you will love this site and get a lot of knowledge that would otherwise takes decades.

Welcome to SOS Bob and good luck with the Artesania Latina set "King of the Mississippi."

Welcom aboard. Hope you find all the answers to your questions here. A great group of helpful people. As for glues I like Elmer's Carpenters wood glue and Gorilla Super Glue - both thin and thick, but that's just my 2 cents worth. Use what works best for you - which can only be found out by trying them out.

I use Titebond for most wood parts. Occasionally I use Elmer's white glue because it's easier and works for that small part. Gorilla super glue for most small parts. I'm not sure how that will work for affixing metal adornments to wood, though. I'm coming up to that soon on my Black Pearl and later on my Soleil Royal. Maarten suggested epoxy.

I have been using Tightbond and Gorilla wood glue. I just ordered Starbond thin and medium CA glues along with my first bottle of Weldbond.

Back