Anthony's 1/48th scale HMS Blandford [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Anthony, your frames are looking very good.

Mike

Dear Anthony
your frames are looking great Thumbsup
:)

Last edited:
not sure if this has been mentioned in other posts but im on frame 6 and the drawing is short , most of it is correct just the last parts extend past the drawing by about 7 mm , it kind of matches the last 3 frames which i haven't gotten around to yet , i expect they are a little shorter because of the step in the keel but 6 is still longer than those 3 , unless i missed something that is

Hi Anthony, all the frames will be trimmed later in the build after the deck clamps, gunports, etc. have been installed, don’t worry if some of the frames look too high.

i understand that but so far the frames have fit the plans , it seems to have changed with frame 6 , not sure what the next ones are like yet , its not a problem just posting incase any one else has the same issue and doesnt understand what to do20200816_102156.jpg

because frame 6 is taller than the drawing do i put the spreader bar where it is on the drawing or at the top of the frame, putting it at the top of the frame will spread the sides a little as the top is slightly narrower because of the height

so i tried it on the frame 5 drawing and it matches i also tried it in position 5 in the jig and it also matches , so i'm going to put it at the top of the frame , i will let you know what happens with frame 7 when i get to it ,

started framing number 7 and it fits the plans , so i think plan 6 may have been mixed up with plan 7 and should have been more like plan 5 , wow , not sure i understand that hopefully it makes senseo_O

Hi Anthony,

Frames 1 – 5 are close to the same size, when doing the finial sanding, they should taper slightly toward frame 9. Frames 6 – 9 are progressively narrowed and follow the rise of the keel.

i found a couple of problems with the plans for frame 7 and 8 , for frame 7 the number 8 and number 14 pieces are shorter than the number 1 and 7 pieces , but i don't think it will make a difference , and for frame 8 part 1 is correct part 7 is too long , it should be the mirror of number 1 but its more like number 14 , that one i can trim so that its like number 1 so no big deal either

Hi Anthony,

In post number 49 https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/mike41-hms-blandford-cross-section-build.1485/post-24083 of my build log there are photos that show after the Lower Deck Clamps are in place you can use the Part 3 Longitudinal Section drawing to mark the top of frames trim line and cut the frames to their finished height. I used a small blade in the Dremel tool to make the cut. When I made frame 7, I unintentionally trimmed the top of the frame to the finished cut line. In the finished model only the tops of frames 1 and 9 will be seen, frames 2 thru 8 are covered, if a shim would be required it would not be seen on the finished model.

You are doing good work on your model, there is 97members in the group and no two models will be the same that is what makes a group build interesting to me. This is a learning and sharing experience.

i did see that , and once i get all the frames in their final places i will draw the actual line , looking at mine it looks to be the same as yours so i'm a little less worried about it , for now i am going to finish the frames and order more wood for the next part of the build, its definitely a learning experience one made easier by having the right tools , being my first actual scratch build i'm finding out which tools i need and which ones i don't , my next one will be a full ship so this is invaluable experience one which i didn't think i would ever be able to accomplish , so thank you for that you have opened a new door for me,

i now have all the frames in place and i will have to wait until my table saw arrives so that i can continue ,1 question about the keelson though , it looks like its a curved piece of wood , is it or is it curved on the bottom and straight on the top?

Hi Anthony,

If you look at the longitudinal section in Part 3 the keelson starts a curve from frame 4 to the aft edge of frame 9. You can make a tracing or use a copy of the drawing for a pattern.

Mike

the keelson is in , i am working on getting the strips for the flooring and also for the shot locker and pump . the frames are in cherry and i was going to make the floor supports out of the same wood what should i make the shot locker and pump out of? decking i was going to use a whitish wood ,not sure what yet , thats another question for another day , should i just stick to cherry for the rest?(apart from the shot locker and pump)

Back