Anthony's 1/48th scale HMS Blandford [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Anthony,

In my opinion all the basic framing should be of the same wood and use different woods for the accessories. Look at the other build logs for ideas for the shot locker, pumps etc.

Mike

I think white oak would be a good choice, red oak would not give you much color contrast with the cherry, another option would be Beachwood it has a closer grain than oak.

is the first strake wider because of the groove for the limber board or are they all the same size?

The two strakes closest to the keel are 1’-2” with 2” notches for the limber boards, the other strakes are 1’-0” wide. See Part 3 Hold Plan & Cross Section.

so my thanks go to Donnie who unwittingly helped me with the limber boards, i thought 3 was the magic number but apparently its 17.5 . this took quite a long time to work out how to cut , but with Donnies ideas and angles i managed to get it ,
its not glued down yet but it fits quite well , also i like the way docblake has his limber boards setup and might copy that if its ok , anyways here's where i am today
20200828_211640.jpg20200828_211648.jpg

Looks really clean, Anthony. Good job. I'm watching yours closely as I get my Blandford started.

Last edited:
A work-around is to eliminate the square tenon at the foot of the mast. That way, you can simply drill a hole in the mast step that fits the mast diameter. No square mortise and tenon needed! Appearance is the same.

Last edited:
Back