Anthony's 1/48th scale HMS Blandford [COMPLETED BUILD]

I converted my drill press to function as a spindle sander. You can but a spindle sander kit from harbor freight. It comes w three different sizes cylinder rubber type disk that fits into the chuck of the drill press arbor chuck. Then it comes w three different sizes of cylinders sanding disk. I also fixed a table onto drill press as to keep the part 90 degrees to sanding drum. I will see if I have a picture of press.

i wanted to see if i was able to cut out the frame parts so as a test i cut the first one , it didn't take too long and i think it came out ok , my next hurdle is going to be sanding the inside of the frame , any suggestions on what to use?View attachment 167289View attachment 167290
An oscillating spindle sander is ideal. but if you don't have one, chucking a sanding drum into a drill press can get the job done. You can even rig up a hand held electric sander to work like a drill press with drum sander in place.

Failing the above, a Dremel with a sanding drum will work. It's best to use a Dremel with variable speed, and set it as low as you can so you don't remove too much stock!

i have a dremel and a small drill press one of those should work , i like the idea of the drill press for better control so i will look into that first , thanks for the ideas

The frame is fine, you do not need to remake it. The frames in the midsection of a ship doesn’t require much sanding to fare the frames, as you proceed toward the bow and stern more beveling is required and it is a good idea to leave a little white space around the frames.

i have been getting some tools and things together for my HMS blandford build , i had the plans printed at my local kinko's and i am trying to source some wood , looking at the plans , and reading some of the build logs i know that i need to check the measurements of the prints, so my first question is , how?
i had the base printed on 11 x 17 paper and i found some measurements in a build log but mine aren't the same , how do i know what is right?

Hallo Antony,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi Anthony, happy birthday. How are your frames coming along?

Mike
sorry been away visiting my son , thank you , i have 2 done now , its not my main project so i do it when i'm waiting for glue to dry or can find the time , i would like to spend more time on it but i should really finish my first project, The Endeavour , so that i can go full time on the x section , but i will keep you informed

so i'm home now , here's number 2 frame and the keel, i had to make a second keel as the first one was a bit sloppy, this one is tight , tere's also a pic of the building jig , i am going to have to fit each frame to the jig which means filling out the holes to fit , is this right or is my jig too small20200808_210005.jpg20200808_210021.jpg20200808_210030.jpg20200808_210110.jpg

It looks like frame 2 is a little thicker than 1, not a problem as Dave said use a hand file to enlarge the notch for a good fit.

Hallo Antony,
Although I'm late for a few days it's important for me to wish you you all the BEST and
a HAPPY BIRTHDAYBirthday-CakeAnd that you will continue to build many models of ships while enjoying the process and the beautiful result as can be seen in your blog

There is always a little “wiggle room” in the plans. There is also something called “tolerance creep” as the model construction proceeds. It is the accumulation of sequential small errors that can result in a part not fitting too well. As you move along, you’ll build more to the model, with the plans more a guide than gospel.

Back