Any opinions on the Grizzly disc/belt sander combo?

Looking for some input... I'm in the market for a disc sander, but I'm hoping to move up to a fully-framed model before long, and I was thinking a spindle-sander would be useful for the frames.
While shopping around online, this one caught my eye. The size is right for my small workspace, and the price is definitely in the right place as well.
Anyone have experience with this or a similar combo sander? Would the rounded end of a belt sander provide similar functionality to a spindle for sanding ship frames?
I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts.

Last edited:
Hello Eric, I think it is a good combination of sanders , though I don't know the quality of this brand\tool. It is hard to see if the disk sander table have an ability to tilt. However, utilizing the rounded end of a belt sander to sand the frames wouldn't be a good solution. You will need a flat\stable surface to hold the frame against rotation, otherwise you will brake frames easelly. Oscillating drum sander would be your best bet for frame sanding job!

Grizzly is typically a good brand. Usually for full size wood working shop. In general, combination tools never perform as well as dedicated tools. However, could be good if space is a problem. Its not easy to determine where full-sized tools will work for model building. This is why you see tools made specifically for modeling such as Proxon, Sherline, Byrnes, etc. My guess is the Grizzly is too "beefy" for model building work.

I have slightly smaller Delta combination sander, and without a speed control it really doesn't work for model work. Tiny pieces are grabbed and go flying across the room. For roughing in solid hulls, etc. it can be useful. Grizzly is usually not bad quality- ChiCom made, but they (and you) pay for better quality control than Harbor Freight.

Back