Apóstol Felipe (OcCre) 1:60, Finished

Hello DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Thank you for your kind words. I have to say that I 'am not acquainted with maritime definitions and meanings - and in English! - except for some basic terms. So I had to look up what is a "spar deck" and as far as I understand it, it is a smaller deck above the main deck from stern to stem. Now with respect to the nets attached to the sides of the spar deck the kit - as I recall it - did not contain any information on its purpose! I assumed it was a kind of protection (not canons!) for seamen when in battle? I 'am not sure, but I think I have seen something like this on Nelsons "Victoria"....
I hope this is a satisfactory explanation but if you have a more correct idea, I 'will be glad to hear it

Major6

Hello DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Thank you for your kind words. I have to say that I 'am not acquainted with maritime definitions and meanings - and in English! - except for some basic terms. So I had to look up what is a "spar deck" and as far as I understand it, it is a smaller deck above the main deck from stern to stem. Now with respect to the nets attached to the sides of the spar deck the kit - as I recall it - did not contain any information on its purpose! I assumed it was a kind of protection (not canons!) for seamen when in battle? I 'am not sure, but I think I have seen something like this on Nelsons "Victoria"....
I hope this is a satisfactory explanation but if you have a more correct idea, I 'will be glad to hear it

Major6
No worries. This hobby has taught me to learn maritime terms not only in English, my native language, but also in Italian and German because many of books I used are in different languages. The hardest to translate with Google is Russian. Their expressions are often indirect, and to not translate well into English.

A spar deck is a temporary deck made up of spars (light wooden beams) and grating. During times of combat, it stretches across the top of the waist of the ship, from the forecastle to the quarterdeck. It is used to prevent enemy boarding, and also an easy means of walking from the stern to the bow by the crew. Under normal sailing, and when cargo needs to be loaded through the hatches, it is dismantled. The spar deck was rarely used after the mid 17th century, since boarding actions were no longer the main focus of naval combat and guns grew much more powerful. On your model, the netting could be stretched over the spars and make it more difficult for boarders. Perhaps it was also strong enough to walk upon. Most model makers do not show the spar deck in place because it blocks your view of the waist and the the weather deck. Also, it is hard to install once the rigging is completed.

You can see people walking across the spar deck, high above the waist, in Payne's engraving of HMS Sovereign of the Seas below.
1644346690340.png

Thank You for your very informative answer! - Suddenly my model made much more sense!

I don't know if it is appropriate to ask you the following questions, or I should address them in a "general way - and in which forum" but anyway here there are:

1. I 'am quite old (79) and have been told time after time: "Don't give any personal information unless you comfortable and know the site you are subscribing to - The WWW is dangerous!!!!". Therefore I "invented" my id: Major6 and associated with an elephant! This has annoyed me from the beginning, since my last name is actually: Hannibal - therefore the elephant! Can you change your ID (name) in a reasonably manner (synonym?) in SOS?

2. As indicated above I 'am thinking of making a (last?) model, - may be in the coming autumn, - of "the renewed King of Mississippi" from Artesania. There are quite a lot of build-logs on this model (both the old and the renewed model in the forum) and only photo's in the step-by-step manual (which I have downloaded and studied several times) plus number of videos' (a mixture of the old an renewed model) more or less explaining the whole building process. So, is there any point in making (another) building-log just reflecting my approach to the model????

Yours sincerely
Hannibal

Thank You for your very informative answer! - Suddenly my model made much more sense!

I don't know if it is appropriate to ask you the following questions, or I should address them in a "general way - and in which forum" but anyway here there are:

1. I 'am quite old (79) and have been told time after time: "Don't give any personal information unless you comfortable and know the site you are subscribing to - The WWW is dangerous!!!!". Therefore I "invented" my id: Major6 and associated with an elephant! This has annoyed me from the beginning, since my last name is actually: Hannibal - therefore the elephant! Can you change your ID (name) in a reasonably manner (synonym?) in SOS?

2. As indicated above I 'am thinking of making a (last?) model, - may be in the coming autumn, - of "the renewed King of Mississippi" from Artesania. There are quite a lot of build-logs on this model (both the old and the renewed model in the forum) and only photo's in the step-by-step manual (which I have downloaded and studied several times) plus number of videos' (a mixture of the old an renewed model) more or less explaining the whole building process. So, is there any point in making (another) building-log just reflecting my approach to the model????

Yours sincerely
Hannibal
Don't say “quite old (79)”. You are 79 years young. As Clint Eastwood says “I don't let the old man in”.
Your model is fantastic….your many hours put into it has paid off.
Tom

Yours sincerely
Hannibal
It's not only appropriate to ask more questions, it's highly encouraged. If you want to change your name, click on your name and the "accounts" page will open, and you can edit any piece of information in your profile.

There is always a reason to post another build log. First, it gives members an opportunity to offer constructive criticism and ask questions. Second, any changes you add to the model are useful for others learning to build similar models. I have seen several build logs on the model I am currently building, and each one has ideas which I borrow and put into my build.

Short explanation to the nets:
These were anti-boarding nets at this time of Navy
Jim Baumann made once a great model of the Mary Rose in 1:400 showing them on his carrack

mary_rose08.jpg

Please take a look at the model description on the german forum modellmarine.de
or

Later on nets were also installed over the deck against shrouds as a protection against debris falling down dirung action

566658237_SauveTeteNetzeMasefield.png.6237f2052394d503119f2054d70d03ef.png

pw7977.jpg

Boarding nets are also described at wikipedia

AnthonyRoll-2_Mary_Rose.jpg
The crew of the Mary Rose were trapped aboard the ship by her boarding net as the vessel was sinking.

1280px-The_Gallant_Defense_of_Cutter_Surveyor.jpg
In this painting by Patrick O'Brien, the American warship USRC Surveyor has raised its boarding net as a hostile force of British Royal Marines close on the vessel.

Back