Armed Virginia Sloop 1768 - Model Shipways - scale 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Zoltan,

Is there a rule how the end lines of the shrouds should be aligned? Should they be facing fore or aft side of the ship? On you photo I can see they facing both ways.

A realy good question and although I made some research I could not find a final definitive answer.
According my Opinion (which could change with the time and more research) up to now:
1) I am pretty sure, facing on one side in different directions was not possible. Already by the question of accuracy I am sure that such navy ships had all of them on one side to the same direction, means fore or aft, and on the other side of the vessel also in the same direction for or aft. In small scales it is often not possible to make the shrouts so accurate.

I took a look at Steels book, but could not find an answer for your question fastly, but a general drawing showing the situation of standing rigging
rigging1.jpg

Than I looked on the photos I made for the book reviews of the Lennart Petersson books
Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig (click to open)
and
Rigging Period Fore-and-Aft-Craft (click to open)

and found these drawings

IMG_19271.jpg IMG_19351.jpg

IMG_19431.jpg

Also he is showing this in both directions, so maybe there was not a rule, but.......to be continued......

Last edited:
Hi Zoltan,

Is there a rule how the end lines of the shrouds should be aligned? Should they be facing fore or aft side of the ship? On you photo I can see they facing both ways.

View attachment 40969

When I was doing this stage I have looked up too for the same thing and I could not find any definitive answer for that.

Zoltan

Hi Zoltan,

I think Uwe is researching the question on Shrout seizing, but I found this information early this afternoon. It was on page 282 of “Historic Ship Models” by Wolfram zu Mondfeld.

View attachment 41034

I think your build is excellent.
This is one important reason, why I like the forum so much....helping each other ....... many thanks

Thanks @Pathfinder65. I was going to post the scan of this page as well from the only modelling book I have. It is very difficult to translate to plain English Wolfram zu Mondfeld wanted to tell, but I think he meant that on a ship the deadeyes should be turned as such so that the end of lines are all facing fore on both sides, or aft on both sides, never mixing them. Here is the whole two pages from the book:
20180514_225201.jpg

Hi , what is the book. What is a righthhand / left hand shroud, Is it the rope turns ( lieft or right wound rope)?.
Not sure if this discussion should be in Zoltans log. or moved! to somewhere more appropriate.

cheers Paul

Hi , what is the book. What is a righthhand / left hand shroud, Is it the rope turns ( lieft or right wound rope)?.
Not sure if this discussion should be in Zoltans log. or moved! to somewhere more appropriate.

cheers Paul
You are right Paul. Sorry Zoltan for bringing it up. I have asked because I am at the shrouds rigging stage and needed an advise. I should've asked the question in a separate thread.

If you do not own “Historic Ship Models” by Wolfram zu Mondfeld, you should purchase a copy if you can find one. He answers so many questions in his book that are hard or almost impossible to find anywhere else. He uses great drawing to make sure you know what is being said. Thus, even if you could find some answers elsewhere, they might not have as good of step by step instructions to guide you into doing it properly.
There is a rule for everything that was done on a ship and these were modified over the years. Rigging evolved more than anything else and did so differently for various counties. He tells you what is proper based upon the time the ship was built and the country of origin.

Hallo Gary,
You know maybe the book review area of SOS? I have only the german version of the Mondfeld. Maybe, if you have time, you could make a short review of this book, which is realy highly recommended....would be a great help and information for newbies and also experienced, who do not know this book......just an idea

In one of Keith Julier's books he mentions right or left laid rope for Shrouds, I think he called them Shroud laid or Cable laid rope, the Lanyards are rigged from the left for one and from the right for the other. Hope this helps,
Cheers Andy

In one of Keith Julier's books he mentions right or left laid rope for Shrouds, I think he called them Shroud laid or Cable laid rope, the Lanyards are rigged from the left for one and from the right for the other. Hope this helps,
Cheers Andy

Hello Andy ,I have all the books from Keith Julier but I have not open them for years,now its time,not that it will change anythin but for future reference.

Zoltan

Hello Andy ,I have all the books from Keith Julier but I have not open them for years,now its time,not that it will change anythin but for future reference.

Zoltan
Hello Zoltan, I have several of K.J's books, as I am in the process of selling my house, I have most of my books and modelling equipment packed away in boxes in the Attic so I'm not able to find the reference to Rigging types and descriptions,
Cheers Andy

Back