Arrow Amati kit #B1422

build in 2013
August 1814
Washington, the capital of the United States, has been devastated, the army defeated, the government forced to flee the city. The British troops under John Sherbrooke land on the coast of Main and, with incredible speed, occupy more than 35,000 miles of foreign territory.
The spirit of the Revolutionary War seems practically dead and buried.
But, as often occurs in the history of the United of America, just when it seems thing can get no worse, the tide begins to turn.
It begins September 11th in the town of Plattsburg, on the shore of Lake Champlain. The aim of the British is to divide the United State in two, combining the landing in Maine with an attack from Canada across Lake Champlain, natural waterway connecting Montreal and the state of New York.
The British fleet, under the command of Captain George Downie, includes 16 warships and 100 cannons;
Chub a Sloop 11 guns
Linnet a Brig 16 guns
Confidence a frigate of 37 guns
Finch a Sloop 8 guns
5 galleys with 2 guns each
7 galleys with 1 guns each
16 ships, 89 guns and 937 men, most of them, Royal Navy veteran, taken aboard ship in Quebec City

the slightly inferior American fleet boast the advantage of an excellent commander the incomparable Thomas McDonough.
The Us fleet was constituted as follow
U.S. Navy
Brig Eagle 8x18pd lg and 12 32pd Carronades
Frigate Saratoga 8x24pd,6 42pd Carronades and 12 32pd carronades
Schooner Ticonderoga 4x18pd LG, 8x12pd lg and 5x 32pd Carronades
Sloop Preble 7x 9pd lg

Six gunboats Galley 70 tons average 40ft 1 × 24-pounder long gun 1 x 18-pounder carronade Named Borer, Centipede, Nettle, Allen, Viper and Burrows
U.S. Navy Four gunboats Galley 40 tons average 26ft 1 × 12-pounder long gun Named Wilmer, Ludlow, Aylwin and Ballard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plattsburgh
The British fleet sails toward the south, but McDonough wait for them in the bay of Platsburg. At the end of the battle, four British vessels, mast destroyed, are force to surrender, while the other beat a hasty retreat. This American victory forbid the access to the Champlain lake waterway
The British return to camp and during the night take up the route that will take them back into Canada. Never again will they cross the border

That page of history is well represented by the Arrow (Burrow) an Amati kit #1022
Amati made the wrong spelling they name the ship Arrow in place of Burrows
That ship is part of the history of 3 country Great Brittan, Canada and the United State that battle was the start of a friendship between our 3 country that as last up to today.
I have also a personal interest in that ship as one of my forefather was part of the British troop that fight the American in the region of the Lake Champlain.
First impression on the box
Everything is very well package all the part in partition and the wood separated by type and most are identified
The instruction came with 1:1 drawing that at first view look easy to understand the sail cloth look fine but I will have to think about them
Now the written instruction with the explicating drawing are in Italian an English translation is supplied with the kit. Up to now, I have test the translation and find it to be adequate and I will have to see as the build advance.
1-1.jpg1-2.jpg1-3.jpg

Last edited:
In the kit, they supplied a jig to give the proper angle to drill the hole that will receive the two masts 2-1 and 2-2
The angle is perfect and the frame angle arrive perfectly on the working table I was agreeably surprise the 2 opening was done in subsequent drilling a 3 step process commencing by a small drill then a medium one to finish with the proper diameter 2-3 and 2-4
2-5 2-6 show the tracing for the placement of the bulwark using the scale drawing
Using the false keel as a guide I install in position the 2 first one nb1 and nb11 2-7 that was follow by all the other one 2-8, with the last 2 that are place an the bow and the stern 2-9, 2-10
2-1.jpg2-2.jpg2-3.jpg2-4.jpg2-5.jpg2-6.jpg2-7.jpg2-8.jpg2-9.jpg2-10.jpg2-11.jpg2-12.jpg

This post will cover step C – D Figure 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 and 13
4-1 First it is the installation of the columns for the foots boards the measurement are transfer carefully from the scale drawing
4-2 follow by carefully drilling all the hole for the columns
4-3 I cut the columns carefully I need to insert them in the floor I made the choice to cut them 10mm as 7.5 as to be visible
4-4 / 4-5 The boards install
4-6 / 4-7 the base of the deck is install after the false bulwark stanchions are install
4-1.jpg4-2.jpg4-3.jpg4-4.jpg4-5.jpg4-6.jpg4-7.jpg

This section will be about Section E-F-G Fig 16-17-18-19-20-21
First is the planking of the upper deck picture 5-1 5-2 5-3 5-4
First I cut all the plank to the proper size it was easily done with my little saw and all my plank where cut with precision
The deck was done in no time at all, the plank fit with great precision
Second is the planking of the hull and again the precision of the kit is marvellous the Plank arrive with great precision
I was able to advance a bit on the arrow
The planking of the upper deck and both layer of the hull are done 5-5, 5-6 and 5-7
5-1.jpg5-2.jpg5-3.jpg5-4.jpg5-5.jpg5-7.jpg5-8.jpg5-9.jpg

Attachments

• 5-6.jpg
    5-6.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
Step H fig 22-23-24
The Building of the Rowing Benches
Picture 6-1 show the build of the rowing well unfortunately I forgot to take more picture of that step
Step I fig 25
The installation of the Bulwark
Picture 6-2 the pose of the first plank that form the Bulwark
Picture 6-3 the second plank
Picture 6-4 at the Stern you can see how the plank are positioning
Step J fig 26-27-28-29 and 30
The Stern Platform
First, I build a template using the scale drawing supplied fig 26 Picture 6-5
Then I transpose the form on the grating picture 6-6
Picture 6-7 and 6-8 show the platform install properly
Step K fig 31-32
The Capping
The picture 6-9 show how it is install at the stern
And 6-10 the deck complete

6-1.jpg6-2.jpg6-3.jpg6-4.jpg6-5.jpg6-6.jpg6-7.jpg6-8.jpg6-9.jpg6-10.jpg

This post will cover step L, L/1, M, N,
Figure 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40
This will be the making of the rudder the tiller and the pose of the Keel and Hawse Hole
Ok here we go
Picture 7-1 show the parts involve in the making of the rudder and the hinge that will be attached to the stern post. The hinge are cut from a tin sheet of copper and must be bent and cut to proper dimension
Picture 7-2 the hinge are now bent and just need to be cut properly
Picture 7-3 parts done and nail contrary to the instruction the Rudder Tiller is premade in plastic and I decide to use it as his. 7-4 show the rudder now in place
Picture 7-5 and 7-6 show the first discrepancy encounter in the buils as the keel his suppose to arrive flush to the stern post and the Bow parts
So what I did is just making a nice curve at the bow and at the stern as you can see with the picture 7-7, 7-8 and 7-9

7-1.jpg7-2.jpg7-3.jpg7-4.jpg7-5.jpg7-6.jpg7-7.jpg7-8.jpg7-9.jpg

This post will cover step O, P, P/1,
O fig 41, 42, 43 and 44 cover the build of the Bowsprit and I forget to take picture during the buils so you have only once complete. The instruction are so clear that it was an easy thing to do.
Picture 8-1
P and P/1 are the construction of the 3 Hatches that go in the center of the deck. Again easy construction.
Picture 8-2 and 8-3
As per the model the hull is suppose to be paint but I want to show the nice wood so I did the minimum paint a white keel and Bulwarks and black capping and the lower bulwarks also black.
Picture 8-4 and 8-5
8-1.jpg8-2.jpg8-3.jpg8-4.jpg8-5.jpg

This post will cover step Q, R, S and T
Step Q fig 50
His the construction of the Cannon Platform
Really a straight forward construction just a little but of sanding to do 9-1 and 9-2
Step R fig 51 and 52
Is the construction of the sliding platform just one advise do not glue both 83 before you slide the gun in position as one end have to be keep open
9-3 and 9-4
Step S and T fig 53 to 59
It is the construction of both the long gun and the carronade
Picture 9-5, 9-6 and 9-7
Finally both gun complete and install on the ship
Picture 9-8, 9-9, 9-10
9-1.jpg9-2.jpg9-3.jpg9-4.jpg9-5.jpg9-6.jpg9-7.jpg9-8.jpg9-9.jpg9-10.jpg

This post will cover step U, U/1, U/2, U/3, U/4, U/5 and W
It is basically the making of the mast and yard
As usual I use my mini lathe to taper them
Picture 10-1
That is followed by some rigging
Picture 10-2 and 10-3
Some build on the mastheads and both mast are ready to be installed
Picture 10-4
For some time I was thinking about the Sail and to put them on or not as you can see with the picture 10-5 Amati supplied decent print one but the materiel is not in my point of view nice so it was between making new one or not putting anyone.
So after debating the issue I decide that I will not put any for now and as it is a small model it will not be that bad to add the later
10-1.jpg10-2.jpg10-3.jpg10-4.jpg10-5.jpg

This post will cover step X,Y and z
Step X is the making of the mast step and the installation of the mast but before putting them in place I jump to the pose of all the Cleat and the Eyebolt as it is a lot easier to do it at this moment and anyway I need some to be able to rig the gun and the anchor.
Photo 11-1 and 11-2
Next I build and install the anchor
Picture 11-3
That is follow by the rigging of the gun
Picture 11-4 and 11-5
I have build the stand before picture 11-6 and I decide to stain it dark brown picture 11-7
Picture 11-8 mast install gun rig and anchor in position.
11-1.jpg11-2.JPG11-3.jpg11-4.jpg11-5.jpg11-6.jpg11-7.jpg11-8.jpg

This will complete that log build in 2013
Picture 12-1 show the start of the rigging at this point I have my first reserve on the model. The copper ring supplied to do the rigging are to week so the result is that it is impossible to give tension on the rigging.
Here you have it
Complete model and I am happy of my decision to not have put the sail on it
Picture 12-2, 12-3, 12-4, 12-5, 12-6, 12-7 and 12-8
Final resting place 12-9
Picture 12-10 well lots of wood left over that will go in my spare wood box

Conclusion
Box : Very well package the use of most of the plank are identified with color paper deck, hull and so on. All the little part in small compartment and easy to identify.
Instruction : I found them clear and easy to follow supplied in Italian and a good English translation.
Material : All the wood was of real good quality and all the little part are also of good quality with the exception of the eyebolt ring that I found to week to take the tension of the wiring. They supply more then enough of wood to build the kit.
Conclusion : a good beginner model easy to build, the hull planking is easy to do and the rigging not complicated. So it is a good buy as a first kit and will give you pleasure to build .
1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg12-9.jpg

Back