Artesania is La Niña build

Hi. This is my first build and I was posting in the introduction forum. I thought as I am taking photos and doing a build I may as well put some stuff in here. I have started with some photos of the build so far and will add notes as we go. Lessons I have learnt so Farr are:
These things aren’t cheap
Read the instructions and research the sites before getting started
Do planking on decks etc before attaching them to the model.
This is addictive.

25FB9A7C-7E4D-4AA4-9BAA-F4DD8C4034E0.jpeg

9DAA6813-3451-48BA-BC64-18DCAF37F43A.jpeg

7608A389-AFB4-4F3E-BDF1-6D168A79788F.jpeg

7CC68E29-D072-42DC-B8DE-7282928BCF41.jpeg

F815AA82-0131-44D9-92E2-BD17904D577B.jpeg

3F9DA182-60D8-4271-A2DB-4B8785B8BD19.jpeg

Welcome to the forum and thank you for starting a log!

Those are valid things you list as things you have learned. I will point out one thing about planking the deck prior to mounting them-this will vary model to model. For example the Compestela I am working on does not have a separate sub-deck that the planking is glued to. The planks are mounted directly to the bulkheads one at a time just like on the hull.

Glenn

Thanks for liking.
Last night I put the poop deck (Bridge deck) and bows on. Had to do a little snding and adjustments to make them fit, and I found hosting the America's Cup was worth it as the rear bridge deck is held on by a bracelet they handed out at the Auckland Viaduct when we went there. Today is all about starting the planking of the hull and I am putting this off as much as possible as I am nervous - hoping the fairing has been done ok and expecting it to be quite frustrating at times. I am thinking of using my wife's hairdryer to heat the planks after soaking to help with bending them. I note Glenn - you put them in hot water. What are people's thoughts and suggestions Please?

I have found this on Youtube which I have found helpful for fairing and planking

Due to the fact, that the hull of the La Nina is relatively straight there will be not much bending necessary. the shown bending nipper in the video is also helping.
I do not know, if the hairdryer will really help, but you will get the experience, I guess in most situation on your model a well soaked strip will be flexibel enough to reach the form of the hull.....
Maybe for the future you could think about the buy a such an iron - because the steam is important, which is produced with the contact of the hot iron with the soaked plank

C784E231-0863-43FE-A969-CD9B019F7EBD.jpeg

Take also a look here:

Da der Rumpf der La Nina relativ gerade ist, ist kein großes Biegen notwendig. dabei hilft auch die im video gezeigte biegezange.
Ich weiß nicht, ob der Fön wirklich hilft, aber Sie werden die Erfahrung machen, ich denke, in den meisten Situationen an Ihrem Modell wird ein gut durchnässter Streifen flexibel genug sein, um die Form des Rumpfes zu erreichen.....
Vielleicht könnte man für die Zukunft darüber nachdenken, sich so ein Bügeleisen anzuschaffen – denn wichtig ist der Dampf, der beim Kontakt des heißen Bügeleisens mit dem durchnässten Brett entsteht

View attachment 292875

Schau auch mal hier:

In my experience, the thing is not bad, but with the large attachment, it takes forever to warm up.

Hi. This is my first build and I was posting in the introduction forum. I thought as I am taking photos and doing a build I may as well put some stuff in here. I have started with some photos of the build so far and will add notes as we go. Lessons I have learnt so Farr are:
These things aren’t cheap
Read the instructions and research the sites before getting started
Do planking on decks etc before attaching them to the model.
This is addictive.
Hallo Chris alias @Hutch
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Interesting. I completed La Nina with many disasters, mistakes and OMG's. I found the instructions confusing so had to do a lot of head scratching etc. (Also I'm not the brightest candle on the cake). I look forward to your progress on this model. BTW I backed Prada :)

Haha! They did well.
Planking has started and I have already realised that sanding down the forward deck was needed before putting the first plank on (Doh!) but otherwise seems to be going ok, just slow.

So started planking the hull last weekend. A Very slow process as having to wait for the glue to dry before going on to the next one and only able to do two at a time. The pins work ok but I think the fairing needs some work on the next one!
Anyway, I am using the electric jug (kettle) and boil it with the planking in the water then hold it in the steam. This I found worked well.
The planking was a bit off in a few places so I am using wood filler to fill in some of the defects, gaps, dips and other disasters. Otherwise it is really nice seeing it come together.

Planking the hull.jpg

BC1BE483-45B1-4A0F-9A75-906D3CA4408E.jpeg

ED02E60D-32FB-4407-84E3-BA9178FB3F63.jpeg

94E0C372-4FFF-4862-BE27-C2FA6CFD35E5.jpeg

4BA81C10-ADA4-409E-AAF9-42C8A1CFD0D8.jpeg

looking good to me. If you don't mind me asking, what wood filler did you use ?

Hi there. I used Cabot’s wood tone putty. $13 from Bunnings. Need to sand it tomorrow and see how it goes. Then clear varnish over the top (pva sticks to it as is water based).

image.jpg

4818A7FE-7CFC-4BCC-BE7D-E6F9831DD65B.jpeg

B98F82E1-CED2-439A-9B99-729A49D7D589.jpeg

Hutch, my apologies for the tardy reply. photo of the products I used on my build. Spakfiller for the first planking gaps, Greenstik for the second planking and PAL to fill the odd gap on the second planking especially around the bow area. All products water based from Bunnings.

Img_1078.jpg

Hi ConsNZ. Thanks for this. It is really helpful. I think another trip to Bunnings is coming up.
Bought a dremel yesterday. Great tool.

image.jpg

So yesterday I attached the sheer to the bow using 3 batons. I found the best way to do it was to place the first one and let it dry while gluing the other 2 together separately after making sure they were bowed to fit.
I used PVA on the sides of the Barton’s as there was only 1.5mm surface to glue on to.
Then I skipped ahead to placing the bow and stern ends. I was going to put the side gunwale covers on but then realised I had stuffed up
I misread the instructions that stated set the bridgehead bulwarks but did them 3mm higher than the bridge deck. Hence I now need to trim them down to place the gunwale covers!
Oh the joys of not reading the instructions properly.

A8ED347A-2E51-46BE-8600-E3FFA78C5FDA.jpeg

24779DA4-3CC4-43A0-90CF-192AC88E54D8.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back