Artesania Latina Micro Shaper/Scrapers

Have any of you gried using these small scrapers on the boxwood that comes in kits? They seem to be a big PITA to use without taking hours to shape wood. I tried a minature rabbetting plane but it needs a rabbet to start with. Anybody find a better way of molding the 3mm square strips? I guess I can setup my router or even a Dremel to cut them but was looking for something simpler.

Attachments

• 20210323_155409.jpg
    20210323_155409.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210323_155404.jpg
    20210323_155404.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210323_155358.jpg
    20210323_155358.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
G
Have any of you gried using these small scrapers on the boxwood that comes in kits? They seem to be a big PITA to use without taking hours to shape wood. I tried a minature rabbetting plane but it needs a rabbet to start with. Anybody find a better way of molding the 3mm square strips? I guess I can setup my router or even a Dremel to cut hem but was looking for something simpler.
G'day Phil, I have a set, I made a two backing plates out of wood, one for each side, I drilled four holes through the woods and the plate and secured them with some small nuts and bolts, I was quite pleased with them,
Best regards John,

Phil this is the link to where I used them, hope it helps, you will have to scroll down a bit,

Phil this is the link to where I used them, hope it helps, you will have to scroll down a bit,

Thanks! Great idea!

i have a set of these as well. the problem a have with them is that say for example you want to profile a simple round over, the bottom edge of the cutter that should serve as a guide to follow the wood always digs in and starts to cut as well, leaving a visible line on the bottom of your piece. i have yet to find a solution.

i have a set of these as well. the problem a have with them is that say for example you want to profile a simple round over, the bottom edge of the cutter that should serve as a guide to follow the wood always digs in and starts to cut as well, leaving a visible line on the bottom of your piece. i have yet to find a solution.
I have the same issue.

Used them, several times, in pear wood strips with excellent results. Haven't tried in boxwood.

I use them as well...normally for smaller dimension strips. Thus far I have not had any problems. One must be gentle and patient however...do not expect quick results. I have shaped moldings both on and off the model. I also use an alternative material when I need shaped moldings (depending on the shape needed)...styrene plastic. Styrene comes in may shapes that are ideal for ship's mouldings and framing such as around quarter gallery windows. Styrene also paints up well...but you would be surprised how many moldings are white! You can use the scrapper on styrene as well as wood. Look at evergreen.com for styrene plastics. I keep a fistful of different shapes on hand.

Last edited:
I use them as well...normally for smaller dimension strips. Thus far I have not had any problems. One must be gentle and patient however...do not expect quick results. I have shaped moldings both on and off the model. I also use an alternative material when I need shaped moldings (depending on the shape needed)...styrene plastic. Styrene comes in may shapes that are ideal for ship's mouldings and framing such as around quarter gallery windows. Styrene also paints up well...but you would be surprised how many moldings are white! You can use the scrapper on styrene as well as wood. Look at evergreen.com for styrene plastics. I keep a fistful of different shapes on hand.
I'll have to look that up. Thanks!

Back