Artesania Latina Swift,

Hi everyone and anyone,
After a failed attempt at attaching the plywood deck base of my Swift, I was dam close to chucking it away....BUT, I was able to remove it before the glue grabbed and pulled the few nails out that I actually was able to install.
I micro waved water to boiling, got the plywood deck moistened, then microwaved them both together about two minutes more....... the plywood was still slightly damp and seemed reasonabley pliable.
so I got it down nicely along the long axis of the frame but couldn't get the ply to conform to the deck "crown".
what gives?
Or should I just build barges........
Should I build a steam box??? Any plans available??
Any tips again appreciated.
Thank you,
Steviedean

Try to nail as much as you can. Start along the center line and then across. I had to make my bulk heads thicker to nail. Make sure every thing is true. I didn't and I am still having problems. I started this model in the late '80s gave up for a long time and am now back on it. The plans I have are not 1 to 1 and I didn't realize it for a while. I was also missing parts so I had to buy a used one on eBay. Plan on making some of your own parts as the quality of this model is not top of the line. Don't try to research this ship because it never existed.

Hi guys!
Not giving up......
Jimsky, I don't know how to post pictures-my wife needs to teach me how, and I understand how that will help.
Shuttlebuggy, today I'm taking my sub deck to work and planning on scoring both sides on the longitude. I've also traced the part graph paper if I destroy it. Second, I was thinking if that happened, I could make one from soft balsa. I have a large supply of that from my first passion, flying scale model aircraft. The main problem with that hobby for me is, I don't have the heart to fly what I've built........it's such a punch in the gut when they crash.......
Has anyone substituted building materials like that?

Jimsky, I don't know how to post pictures-my wife needs to teach me how, and I understand how that will help.
Adding an image or photo is as simple as 'drag & drop'. Yep, you hear it right. If you are using PC (Windows OS), in your reply window, just drag the image and drop it in to reply area. :) or, you can use an 'Attach files' button on the left bottom corner of the replying area. Simply click and select one or multiple images (up to 25) and here you go... Let me know if this helps. But wait.... have you check our help library topics? If not, we encourage everyone to familiarise themselves with the forum functionality. We made those short videos to make the newbie's life a bit easier...So be sure to check, just follow the link below.

I've seen some people pin down the centre line and use elastic bands cross ways to make the false deck crown. But pin down the centreline first and, quickly as you can, put in enough pins, say every other bulkhead, to start the crown, then come back and do the ones you have left.

I’m building that kit now. First kit I will add. I used pva on centerline and clamped it for about 24 hours. Then applied pva to top of bulkheads, used a series of heavy duty rubber bands and also used clamps between keel and edges of deck near the middle bulkheads. No moisture or heating at all. Let dry for another 24 hrs. Worked well for me

Attachments

• AEAC10DE-4B46-4DB1-B847-C3D2636D33CC.jpeg
    AEAC10DE-4B46-4DB1-B847-C3D2636D33CC.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 49CC7C6F-5E49-4717-90E9-0C7224E0DA90.jpeg
    49CC7C6F-5E49-4717-90E9-0C7224E0DA90.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 9
  • A65E5C9A-91C6-499E-8B27-67B769BFABF7.jpeg
    A65E5C9A-91C6-499E-8B27-67B769BFABF7.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 9
Back