Artesania Latina's New Soleil Royal

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi Everyone

To be honest,I never thought I would be doing another kit review as I have enough projects, but this release changed all that. So here goes, I will not be going massively in-depth as to what is in the box as Artesania covers it pretty well in their YouTube video.This is more of a brief synopsis and a conclusion based on my opinion and my intention with this kit.
I will post all the pics as everything is self explanatory then add my thoughts at the end.

Kind Regards

Nigel
IMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0232.jpgIMG_0233.jpg

This is great to see you start this log, Nigel! This is one ship and one builder for whom I will most certainly Claim the No 1 seat in the house!

Firstly my initial observations;

You do not get plans or conventional instructions just a CD.The instructions are downloadable via AL's website and available to anyone, you don't have to buy the kit. I have done this as it is years since I binned the DVD player. These are highly detailed full colour images with symbols used for different processes similar to a plastic kit. A key is provided as to what these symbols mean, again similar to a plastic kit.The instructions are very detailed with 390 steps, I feel anyone with some modelling experience and a basic toolkit can build this model if they take their time. I believe it was AL's intention to design a model that was buildable by a wider audience and reduce the number of failed attempts languishing in lofts, if that was their intention, they have truly succeeded IMHO.

Given the price, there are one or two disappointments. The blocks and deadeyes are laser cut. The deadeyes are plywood. The blocks are boxwood but do require drilling. Given that there are 220 of these, a simple jig and a Dremel type tool will be needed to avoid monotony. The dummy cannons are only around 10mm long, the shortfall in length is made up with a small diameter length of dowel inserted into the casting to bring the ends outside the gunports. These points are clearly an attempt to reduce manufacturing costs.Also the quality of the rigging thread, especially the black is pretty dire. Just upgrading to something like that supplied by Amati would be a big improvement if you don't wish to go the whole hog with handlaid ropes.

Some of the standout plus points;

The quality of the photo etch details is great.The cast ornaments are high pressure die cast and far superior and crisper than the lost wax castings of the current Mantua model group.It is a shame the side galleries did not have photo etch windows to insert into the castings but a little careful work with a small file will improve these and remove some flash.I intend to relieve these castings on the back using the mill to give an appearance much more like that of the photo etch windows, however I appreciate many do not have a mill.

All in all this kit will build up to a nice model straight out of the box and with the addition of AL's lighting kit (which I have bought) will make a very attractive display piece.The only thing to note is that you will need the relevant Artesania scraper to produce the mouldings and this is not included in the kit. I ordered these at the same time and are visible in the picture of the box inside.

I have deliberately left out any comments as to historical accuracy in this post.There are many different opinions as to how this vessel looked so feel it unfair to judge the kit's content based on conjecture. I will however debate this in the next post which will cover why I DID buy this kit and what changes I plan to make

Kind Regards

Nigel

Conclusion and intentions;

Firstly let's look at the date on the box,1669.This is not Soleil Royal 1669 as built.The reasoning is that prior to 1670, French ships were built with maximum breadth (the start of the Tumblehome) in line with the stern counter. Post 1670 maximum breadth occurred (as it does in this model) below the lowest gunports.

Is this the first or second Soleil Royal? Initially I convinced myself this was the second version but this is where it gets a little murky.In 1689-92 the first Soleil Royal (launched 1669) was rebuilt from the keel up due to extensive rot.Is it feasible that that they altered the hull form to comply with the max breadth rule of 1670? In 1693 the second Soleil Royal was launched with many carving details carried over from the rebuilt original. You start to get a picture of how indecisive this starts to become.

The scale on the box 1/72.When the marketing video was release it said 1/65 but the scale on the box is 1/72?? Now given the planned alterations to my model, the only way to have a starting point is the height between decks dictated by the kits stern decoration which I plan to use as supplied. Working from this, the scale does work out at 1/65, exactly.Normally you would measure the length of the model to determine this, but in this case for either scale, the model is far too short.

The overall hull form is correct for the 1690ish period but for whatever reason Artesania decided to "condense" the length of the model but the cross sections ( deck sheer line aside) are correct for 1/65. Without going in to too much detail as I will be doing a build log, it is my intention to replace the kits false keel and stretch the model 121mm to bring the gun deck to the correct length.

So why I bought the kit? Well most kit bashes start with the kit hull and alter/improve the decorations.This is the opposite, the kits decor is nicely done, it is the hull form along with the decks sheer and gunport positions that will be corrected. In essence the kit's bow and stern will remain, everything in-between will be reverse engineered.

One final thing, built out of the box, all the decks are boxed in, not open as believed to be in the case of the original and certainly the case with other vessels of the period. This will be addressed in my build.

Kind regards

Nigel

Last edited:
This is great to see you start this log, Nigel! This is one ship and one builder for whom I will most certainly Claim the No 1 seat in the house!
That was quick Heinrich,you're practically sat on the workbenchROTFROTF

I will be starting a log in the kit section in due course.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Don't want to set on the bench, but if permitted, at the area where I can see the entire build-out process. BTW, many thanks for the kit review. From the above pictures, I can see very high-quality plywood and other parts (as you already mentioned). Should be fun to build and joy to watch it is growing.

Thanks Guys.

I will probably wait till next weekend to start the log. I am currently gluing bulkheads together and also a good way through drawing out the revised side elevation. The amount of extension has been reduced slightly, I will keep editing my post above until it is finalROTF Currently languishing around 110mm.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Many Thanks for showing us the content more in detail and I am looking forward to see your work on this model.
For me eye-opnening are the big number of plywood sheets, also for visible parts and not only the deadeyes
-> and I am really looking forward of how much you are using them or change them to "real" wood".

Back