Soleil Royal by Artesania Latina

Hi all , my first ship and naturally my first build log. Not everything has gone perfectly but I'm not scared to pull things apart and do them properly. (There have been several instances already)
I don't have a lot of photos from early in the build as I never really planned on sharing the progress but will post what I have to date.

I put the frame together and I have never seen so many frames , brackets and other supports. Frames are only 3mm but once all the supports were in it was quite sturdy
Screenshot_20230319_195703_YouTube.jpg

Last week I added the side railings to the ship and a third row of planking that covers the lower half of the railings. Have also added one of the gratings to the mid deck. Instructions called for me to use the white wood tgat comes with the kit ( not sure what it's called ) for the frame and stain it but decided to use some Sapelli that I found in my local hobby store.2023-03-19_19-59-13.jpg2023-03-19_20-01-38.jpg

I missed a step so I'll put it in here. The kit came with a template for the placement of the gunports which fortunately lined up perfectly. After the fact I read that some people get kits where this is not the case.
The round ports were cut quickly and easily using a 10mm forstner bit.
The square ones took me around 10 hours. I believe at some point I have to frame them which looks like it will take quite some time also.

2023-03-19_20-00-55.jpg

2023-03-19_20-01-22.jpg

I've been doing a lot of overtime at work lately so progress has been glacial.
I Added a post to the stern of the ship and then planked it. I'm assuming the rudder will be attached to it.
Also planked the stem that sticks out from the bow of the ship plus added some Wood that I'm assuming will be part of some decorative feature.
Just need to finish the other side, hopefully can pick up the pace a little soon.

Hi Greg

Good work and nice to see someone else besides me building this particular kit.

You can include as much detail in your log as you like, more detail does help those who decide to build this kit. We have some logs running at 200 and 300 pages so it is up to you;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Greg

Good work and nice to see someone else besides me building this particular kit.

You can include as much detail in your log as you like, more detail does help those who decide to build this kit. We have some logs running at 200 and 300 pages so it is up to you;)

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thanks Nigel , this could take quite some time to complete as I have limited time to commit to it so will probably post small sections at a time.

Have added all the rubbing strakes and am about to start sanding as I prepare to paint the hull.
People who I have seen online seem to cover the hull in putty and then paint over it. Not sure if to do that or just paint over the wood so you can still see that it's planked underneath?
I'm not sure what is more realistic?

20230410_152821.jpg

20230410_152808.jpg

20230410_124108.jpg

Back