Artesania Messerschmitt BE 109G [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello, Just a quick update. I’ve made up and fitted the tail wheel. The top fits into a hole previously built into the structure, the lower part fits into a hooked shape mount again built in, it is locked into place with another hooked shaped piece which is then secured in place with the usual slot/tab arrangement. I needed to touch up the paint once fitted as again it just rubbed off when handled.

I’ve shown a picture of the spinner and prop to give an idea of scale.

View attachment 226034
An inch scale in the UK, the horror!!! That must be an antique.

My company (that I work for), we have a plant in Manchester. We have fun with the English language and measurement units, as we are a chemical company. Also we are now owned by the Italians, so we tease them about selling by the wine bottle...

An inch scale in the UK, the horror!!! That must be an antique.

My company (that I work for), we have a plant in Manchester. We have fun with the English language and measurement units, as we are a chemical company. Also we are now owned by the Italians, so we tease them about selling by the wine bottle...
At least we can still get a good old fashion PINT of beer in England, cheers!

Hello. Again thanks for your many likes. Todays update is the cockpit, it’s coming along nicely except for the issue that I’m having with my paint, once parts are fitted they need touching up which doesn’t do much for the finish. It’s mostly made up from cast parts which again fit well together. The PE. parts are the foot controls and the seat belts all done well with good detail. The pictures show it at about three times the size and show up every mark, it looks better in real life.

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

Last edited:
Hello All. Thanks for that Paul, but I'm judging it on your standard. A quick update, I've just added the trim wheels and chain to the cockpit. After seeing Ewe‘s video I realised that I hadn't checked the colour of the LED that I'd fixed into the tail, there hadn't been any mention in the instructions about colour. There is no indication on the lights themselves so I needed to wire them up and check. As luck would have it I got it right for the tail, phew, lucky.

033.jpg

034.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. Today I'm working on the engine mount. The pictures show it installed but unpainted, I would normally paint it before fitting but as it needed a good grip and a little force to fit the poor surface adhesion of the paint would mean that it would just flake off. This afternoon I've got the task of painting it in situ, I'm trying a different primer this time, Vallejo to see if that improves things.

035.jpg

036.jpg

Very interesting project !

I've been checking out this kit since AL came back on the market.
I'll be following your build with great attention! :cool: :p

Very interesting project !

I've been checking out this kit since AL came back on the market.
I'll be following your build with great attention! :cool: :p
Hi Ekis, Your very welcome. I can’t match your Bleriot though, that is a work of art.

Hi Ken, have you tried a degreaser on the metal before you prime it? Mineral spirits? Acetone? Denatured alcohol?
Hi Paul, yes I’ve tried most things, today I used my Dremel with its wire brush to score the surface, we’ll se how that goes. As I mentioned this type of modelling is new to me so I think I still need a bit more practice

Thank you
Great build log
I've had my eyes on this kit since finishing Model Shipways Sopwith Camel
Love vintage airplane models
dislike plastic

Reactions: Ken
Hello All. Again thank you for your interest, having members along really does motivate.

This is just a short post, a continuation from this morning. I’m showing you the now painted engine mount, I'll need to give it another coat to finish it off, the inside wont be seen as it will be up against the engine. So Paul hopefully this coat of paint will stay on.

037.jpg

038.jpg

Hello. I am about halfway through a build log of a Euromodel kit, HMS Ajax and I’ve decided to take a break from it for a few weeks and do something completely different. I’ve chosen to build the Artesania Messerschmitt BE 109 G, and have been asked to do a build log on it, I was initially reluctant to do so, firstly as this was supposed to be down time and secondly because I have never done anything like this before and at present haven’t a clue about this type of build or fine scaling. You must accept that this build won’t be a very detailed step by step account but rather a sort of progress report on how a complete novice to this type of build manages just following the step by step instructions, all 295 pages of them.

On opening the box I was pleasantly surprised at the superb quality and detail of the photo etch, I have never seen the likes of before. It is made from some sort of steel which I soon learned was like building with razor blades, I need to be very careful and buy some more plasters. The metal cast parts are very good quality with hardly any flash but with good detail. The instructions and part list comes on disc, I’ve printed them out for convenience all 295 pages. I have never seen instructions this detailed before, good for a novice like me, they assume you know nothing and lead you through each part step at a time, even showing you the order of bending the holding tabs when there is a line of them. The whole package instils confidence that you will end up with a successful build.

I had already started before I decided to do this log so the pictures show the early stages of the build. The open frame is held together by tabs on one surface which pass through slots in the part to be joined then bent flat, the accuracy of fit is very impressive. I did have one slight issue and that was some of the slots were a tight fit and as with all photo etch if you use too much force the whole thing buckles and is difficult to get perfectly back into shape again, I did it once on a frame and learned my lesson. To avoid this I slightly opened every slot. The width of a scalpel blade was just right, I filed one to size, covered the handle with heat shrink for grip, to support the thin PE. I cut a slot in a piece of wood laid the PE over the slot and just pushed my scalpel through, it worked a treat and the tabs now pass through easily but are still snug. See photo. The other photos show what’s in the kit and where I’m up to at the moment.

View attachment 225287

View attachment 225288

View attachment 225289

View attachment 225290

View attachment 225292

View attachment 225293

View attachment 225294

View attachment 225295

View attachment 225296

View attachment 225297

View attachment 225291
Wow! This is amazing! I'm looking forward to your build log. I have a small model of this plane, store bought. I'd be hard pressed to attempt to build this model, my eyes aren't so good these days and my patience is worse. ;)

Reactions: Ken
Hey Ken - We have the real thing at the Virginia Beach Military Aviation Museum. I think it's the only museum that flies all their planes. I go by there occasionally when they fly the birds so if you are interested in a specific detail, cockpit etc. I might be able to get you some photos. I'm checking now to see what model 109 they have. Let me know if you are interested. CharlieDSD_0327.jpgDSD_0320.jpgDSC_8012.jpg

Your log has generated a fair bit of interest. I believe, in time, the initial enthusiasm of a project wears thin and a diversion is necessary to re-group. This project is just one of those. After months of "wood-bashing" I too will have a look at this 109 and if so, start a a log as well .

Hi Jeep, That’s how I felt. I’ve been building model boats continuously for a few years, some are shown in the completed models section and I felt that I needed to do something completely different so that I didn’t go stale. I saw this, I hadn’t done anything like this before and it fits the bill. I hope that you find the build interesting
Your log has generated a fair bit of interest. I believe, in time, the initial enthusiasm of a project wears thin and a diversion is necessary to re-group. This project is just one of those. After months of "wood-bashing" I too will have a look at this 109 and if so, start a a log as well

Back