Artesania Messerschmitt BE 109G [COMPLETED BUILD]

You know, every time that I look at this I feel that I really, really , really need one. So I had better stop looking.

Can you tell me what the power source for the lighting will be ? Then I will stop my looking.....for sure... right !

You know, every time that I look at this I feel that I really, really , really need one. So I had better stop looking.

Can you tell me what the power source for the lighting will be ? Then I will stop my looking.....for sure... right !
Hi Jeep, I know exactly what you mean. As I mentioned earlier, this was not my type of modelling, I'am making it for a friend so I didn't need to buy it. Now I'm loving it and if they ever bring out a Spitfire I'll be first in the queue, I'll even use my own money.
It's powered by two aaa batteries, there is a recess under the cockpit, a battery holder with a slide switch are fitted into a unit which in turn fits into that recess and becomes part of the fusalage, the only part that may be seen is the switch, they've thought of everything

Hello everyone, and again thanks for following. This is just a short update showing my progress with detailing the engine. (Look away now Jeep!) Quite a few small detailed cast parts are needed, looking in the box probably about forty in all, but the instructions are very good and the parts that I have tried fit well. This is an inverted engine so the rocker covers are underneath.

087.jpg

088.jpg

089.jpg

Hello Everyone. Good news, my replacement wingtip arrived today, I would say that is as good as it gets for customer support, so all is forgiven.

I wasn’t delayed at all as I just got on with the engine which is now almost finished. About twelve more components and some touching up will see it done. I tried out the motor and saw that it only turns the prop at a very slow tickover so fingers should be safe. All going to plan at the moment but checking ahead, fitting the wings and undercarriage looks complicated but we’ll see.

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

Hello All. Thanks again for your likes, Jan, I've got to credit the quality of the kit for much of the detail. Paul, yes the painting is coming on, I feel that I've learned a bit as I've gone along and now feel more comfortable doing it, and the change to enamel seems to have worked. Shota, thanks for taking the time to make a nice comment.
Todays progress shows the completion of the engine and the port wing which I was waiting for the part to finish. I couldn't resist laying out the pieces to give me an idea of how the completed build might look

Ken

098.jpg

099.jpg

102.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

I think you have the colour of the exhausts just right.Thumbs-Up
Hi Amac, I enjoyed doing these, as they would be prominent even with the cowling in place I wanted to get them to look good. I played with my paint a bit to get the colour, I used Humbrol enamel, I ended up using copper, brown, red and a bit of black, when set I dry brushed some streaks of black. To finish off I mixed talcum powder into some acrylic varnish, nice and thick and painted that on to get a rust textured finish. I was pleased with the result and as I said it was fun doing.

Hello everyone and thank you for following and showing your interest in my log.

Again just a short update, the wings are now attached so it’s now looking like a real aircraft. This was quite a difficult task and needed rather a lot of force. There were three small rods built into the chassis, two horizontal and one vertical, the wing was built with tabs which corresponded with the rods and when slid together held the wing in place. A washer was placed behind the horizontal tabs to stop it sliding off, the wings weren’t glued on but because they were such a tight fit there was no movement at all, so tight that I thought that I could never get them on, I daren’t file the rods down for fear of introducing play so brute force, leverage and a big hammer was the order of the day.

169.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

Again just a short update, the wings are now attached so it’s now looking like a real aircraft. This was quite a difficult task and needed rather a lot of force. There were three small rods built into the chassis, two horizontal and one vertical, the wing was built with tabs which corresponded with the rods and when slid together held the wing in place. A washer was placed behind the horizontal tabs to stop it sliding off, the wings weren’t glued on but because they were such a tight fit there was no movement at all, so tight that I thought that I could never get them on, I daren’t file the rods down for fear of introducing play so brute force, leverage and a big hammer was the order of the day.

View attachment 231250

View attachment 231251

View attachment 231252

View attachment 231253

Looks awesome with the wings fitted, I don't like the thought of using a large hammer on such a delicate looking structure, but I know from experience working on full size aircraft parts once assembled they're incredibly strong. Check out the photos of the Boeing 787 wing stress test to see how far they can be bent. Do you think they will ever bring out a Spitfire to complement this one?

View attachment 231250

View attachment 231251

View attachment 231252

View attachment 231253
This reminds me a lot of my plastic airplane modeling days!
I think it would look really nice if there were rivets added at all of the metal intersections. ;)
I know it would be a lot of work, but you could use drops of glue and paint them. It would really make it look realistic!

Reactions: Ken
Looks awesome with the wings fitted, I don't like the thought of using a large hammer on such a delicate looking structure, but I know from experience working on full size aircraft parts once assembled they're incredibly strong. Check out the photos of the Boeing 787 wing stress test to see how far they can be bent. Do you think they will ever bring out a Spitfire to complement this one?
Hi Tony, I’m sure that they’ll bring out a Spitfire, I’ll buy one if they do. I think that Germany is probably their biggest sales market, hence the 109. I know that a big hammer sounds a bit drastic but I find that I have better control of the force needed by using a heavy hammer with light taps rather than a light hammer with heavier blows. The wing was well supported and I used a long thin punch to get the force on the exact spot, the structure is indeed surprisingly strong. You’ll see one of the problems, looking at the picture of the instructions you’ll see that part 58, the feed from the ammunition tray sticks out about 7mm and needs to slot into a hole in the chassis however when you position the tabs over the horizontal rods and try to slide them forward this tray prevents you from doing so, you can either fit the ammo feeder or slide in the tabs but you can’t do both. I had to remove the ammo tray and re fit it later, not easy as it was now inside the wing structure with very little access. The other fit issue was when the tabs where on the horizontal rods you needed to lift the wing a little to get the top tab over the vertical rod, coming up at a slight angle I couldn’t get the hole to completely get over and line up, but eventually with force I managed. Once over it slid into place and became a good tight fit, if I had filed it for an easier fit when in place there would have been play and the wing would have had slight movement, not good. I hope that you can understand my explanation.

Last edited:
This reminds me a lot of my plastic airplane modeling days!
I think it would look really nice if there were rivets added at all of the metal intersections. ;)
I know it would be a lot of work, but you could use drops of glue and paint them. It would really make it look realistic!
Hi Dean, I know exactly what you mean, I’ve done it myself. I think that if it was fully sheeted it would have needed it but there’s so much going on already that I don’t think it would enhance it and to have painted dots on that lovely surface to me would spoil it.

Hello All. Thanks again for your likes, Jan, I've got to credit the quality of the kit for much of the detail. Paul, yes the painting is coming on, I feel that I've learned a bit as I've gone along and now feel more comfortable doing it, and the change to enamel seems to have worked. Shota, thanks for taking the time to make a nice comment.
Todays progress shows the completion of the engine and the port wing which I was waiting for the part to finish. I couldn't resist laying out the pieces to give me an idea of how the completed build might look

Ken

View attachment 230897

View attachment 230898

View attachment 230901

View attachment 230904

View attachment 230905
Nice work on the engine, Ken.
I would love to here those 12 open exhaust pipes and see the fire coming out ......
Regards, Peter

Hi Dean, I know exactly what you mean, I’ve done it myself. I think that if it was fully sheeted it would have needed it but there’s so much going on already that I don’t think it would enhance it and to have painted dots on that lovely surface to me would spoil it.
I understand, but to me it looks too smooth. But it’s not my model...lol. ;)

Back