Artesia Hermione Lafayette (the old kit)

Artesia Hermione Lafayette (the old kit)

I will do a very small build log but as it look like I have miss place or lost a lots of picture of that build lots of steps will be missing sorry. I will concentrate one the major issue that I have pick to illustrated them
Also it was at a time (16y ago) where I was not part of any forum at the time that came later.
In my post of the May Flower and the Open Waller (Lancia Baleniera) from Panart In the complete build section. I mention that after the Waller my trouble did start.
When my older son saw the Waller he asks me to give it to him good dad that I am I give him the boat but……….
My other son was not happy and asks me to build him one so I went to the store and got the Hermione Lafayette from Artesia the Old Kit a revise kit came out later wen the reconstruction if the ship was complete in France.1 (15).jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0013.jpgIMG_0061.JPG
To build the hull was strait forward no complication at all same for the planking the deck.

The Kit came with a lots of metal casting part that I did not like at all
So following what they were doing on the reconstruction of the ship in France I build some from scratch,
The railing and the fighting plat form
1 (8).jpg1 (16).jpg1 (20).jpg1 (37).JPGIMG_0140_2.JPG

Here is some major mistake in the kit
The positions of some gun port are dead center on the support of the deck
So I made some correction to be able to have a proper fit
I that time I did not realise (came a lots later) that the gun port hatch were not realistic
Also the chain block the kit supplied stain less steel wire to be twisted
I know better now
The worst mistake is the mesurment of the main mast where they give you measurement taken at the wrong place, giving you a mast 33mm to short.
And the ugly gun supplied and are not scale accurate that I did not corrected
1 (12).jpg1 (13).jpg1 (27).jpg1 (35).JPG1 (39).jpg1.jpg

The deck furniture are done and the mast complete
Rigging went not bad I will elaborate in my conclusion
I cannot said that the instruction are crystal clear but between the main photo the drawing and the booklet you can find where thing are suppose to go I guest.
1 (26).jpg3.jpgIMG_0108.JPG

Final revue of the Hermione from Artesia Latina ref 22517
First believe me when I am telling that I am far from an expert on Ship building I consider myself still a beginner that have a lot to learn working with wood is a different word when you compare to plastic modelling but the basic principle are the same follow the step and look in the instruction 10 steps in advance.
The Hermione is my third ship and I must have an angel on my shoulder when I build my two first one because I build them knowing noting at all about wood ship building. Why I chose that particular model.
Well I was looking for a French ship and it was the only one available at my hobby store at that time, I have learn a lot since J
Now the Kit
Positive
1) The presentation is very well done, actual color picture of different view of the ship side, and top.
A small booklet with picture of different step of building and a book in 4 languages with step that follow the picture of the building. And a large scale plan for the mast and drawing for the rigging
2) The wood is well package and of good quality I think, they supply more then what you need to complete the model. All the accessory are in some plastic package so it is hard to loose small part and again supply in good quantity with the exception of the steel wire use for the clump block did not have sufficiently to do ½ the work.
3) Construction of the frame, deck, and basic structural work went relatively well
4) Construction of the mast and the rigging is well explain and if you go step by step and slowly with minimum problem.
Negative
1) They use the same picture showing equipment that have to be install a later stage and darkening part or section that have not related to the step you are. That might be confusing at some point.
2) They are a lot of mistake in the drawing measurement that are in conflict with the actual picture at some point I got 3 different measurement for the same part. Mast where they give you measurement taken at the wrong place, giving you a mast 33mm to short. Gun port that are open in the center of the support of the main deck. Rigging that you have to guest where they go, or that are only visible on one of the picture but not mention anywhere else and without any reference.
3) Metal part supply that do not have the same dimension on each side of the ship or that have bent that if you try to rectify will snap in your hand.
Thing that I did well
Well rebuild a lot of metal part in wood. And change the position of the gun port on the lower deck.
Made new sails to replace the one supply.
Thing that I did wrong
Did not see discrepancy in the measurement of the channel for the mizzenmast so it is a least 4 to 5 mm to short giving a bad look to the clump block.
And I will not tell you the rest J
Thing that might have be ad
Stair between main and lower deck, on the original ship they have 4 one on each corner of the well. And more detail on the deck probably. I am just beginning to learn on the subject. And the deck is empty and must have more equipment.
Conclusion
It is a good ship to build and with the reconstruction that they do in France you can do a very good job and have an accurate historical ship. But the skill that are need to build it was a bit to much for my skill at the time I got it. It will be interesting to see that model build by a more skilful modeller.
I do not regret to have build her, took me around 15 mounts to build it and did a fare job my son is happy and very proud. And I might consider to build her again as a challenge for me.
I hope the revue I made have interest you

Now the new kit from Artesia is superb 200% betterIMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0594.jpgIMG_0595.jpg

Nice Build. Great Work! Now that you are finished. would you be interested in selling me the ship plans and build Information? would like to build this older version of the kit from scratch.
Thank you...Eric
Eric Randenberg
18340 Santa Anita St.
Tehachapi, California
93561-5246 USA
1-661-972-2618

ericthered said:
Nice Build. Great Work! Now that you are finished. would you be interested in selling me the ship plans and build Information? would like to build this older version of the kit from scratch.
Thank you...Eric
Eric Randenberg
18340 Santa Anita St.
Tehachapi, California
93561-5246 USA
1-661-972-2618

You might be better of with the Ancre planset,more details

Zoltan is right the old kit was not accurate for 2 cent
The hull was not right the placement of the gun was miss place
Most of the deck furniture was missing or erroneous.
And I do not have those drawing anymore
If you do want to build that ship scratch Zoltan suggestion is the best one
here the link
https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/78-hermione-monographie-9782903179908.html#/langue-anglais
the gentleman that did those drawing is the one that made the plan for the actual Hermione with that it is 100% accurate the drawing worth every penny

Back