Article in New York Times about the Joys of Miniatures

This article from the Wirecutter section of the New York Times is about building 1:24 dollhouse structures and furnishings. While the subjects of the author's efforts are landlocked, their descriptions of the process and the joy apply equally well to boats and ships. It's an interesting read and helps explain why members of these forums do the stuff we do. Some may want to ask our significant others read the article. Perhaps they will think us less deranged. Fair winds!

This article from the Wirecutter section of the New York Times is about building 1:24 dollhouse structures and furnishings. While the subjects of the author's efforts are landlocked, their descriptions of the process and the joy apply equally well to boats and ships. It's an interesting read and helps explain why members of these forums do the stuff we do. Some may want to ask our significant others read the article. Perhaps they will think us less deranged. Fair winds!

What a coincidence, and thanks for posting Andy. Last month my Admiral also started with 'model building' with something similar. This is the result:
1728915998294.png
A nice book-case with lighting. Provided with a very neat manual so that she could assemble this step by step. Occasionally some explanation from my side ....... and the next one is ordered.
Regards, Peter

That is really nice. I would love to get one for my Admiral. Could you post where you got it?
Thanks
Rob
I got it from a store in the Netherlands. But what you go to Amazon and type ‘Sunshine Town’ you got a lot of them.
This is the specific one:
From Robotime there are a lot of interesting kits.

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I built a doll house kit for my daughter over 50 years ago. It was a large furnished three level number with a deck on the first level. The walls were papered, the floors had rugs, fake wood flooring, fake tiles, stairs, pictures on the wall, and many miniature misc household items.There were some non powered chandeliers and of course a bathroom with a toilet, bathtub and shower as well. It was a very, very, very rudimentary doll house. Nothing special (we didn't have a lot of money). That little house was played with constantly by my daughter, my son, a grand daughter, a grand son, and a step grand daughter over the next 40 years. Whenever they came over to the doll house it was the first item to be retrieved from the garage along with the furnishings, miniature food items etc., and would entertain them for HOURS!. Definitely would recommend any modelers that have children or grandchildren to look into these. They are fun to build (like boats) but have a hands-on feature static models do not.

Back