As Mr. Spock regularly (famously) said, "Fascinating."

This is all very interesting: I refer to the fellowship that seems to appear as one peruses the relatively few postings in the Bluenose POF Build forum (in relation to the overall SoS site). I refer to there being a roster of kit numbers and buyers etc. When I searched out this kit and found it as a direct purchase I had no idea of the SoS forums and the BN sub-forum, I just found the kit online and bought it. Having bought it direct, has that made me an outsider? Should I have bought it here? Is there any idea of how many other people bought it like I did? Do they (me?) automatically get rostered in? Are there really fewer than 60 of these kits out and about? Is there really a detailed record of that? Fascinating.

Broadly speaking I've never been much of a "joiner" but I do think I'd appreciate becoming a part of this particular fellowship. While I'm not a sailor nor even a pretend wannabee and don't talk the lingo, I am however a 70+ year modeler, very comfortable around brass, styrene, and wood, have a highly-precision eye for scale proportion, am willing to invest as much or more in books and other research than I do in model hardware, and have the tooling kit expected of a seven decade modeler. I'm not much of an asker for help but am a self-learner, much like a sponge soaking up what others have written of their experiences doing that which I am about to do. I don't even have the kit yet but already I'm deep into what you guys have graciously posted. Hmm, rereading this paragraph I think the author might be suffering a big head :rolleyes: . . .

Well anyway, I really am curious about those questions in my opening.
Thanks,
alf
Sent from my iPad

This is all very interesting: I refer to the fellowship that seems to appear as one peruses the relatively few postings in the Bluenose POF Build forum (in relation to the overall SoS site). I refer to there being a roster of kit numbers and buyers etc. When I searched out this kit and found it as a direct purchase I had no idea of the SoS forums and the BN sub-forum, I just found the kit online and bought it. Having bought it direct, has that made me an outsider? Should I have bought it here? Is there any idea of how many other people bought it like I did? Do they (me?) automatically get rostered in? Are there really fewer than 60 of these kits out and about? Is there really a detailed record of that? Fascinating.

Broadly speaking I've never been much of a "joiner" but I do think I'd appreciate becoming a part of this particular fellowship. While I'm not a sailor nor even a pretend wannabee and don't talk the lingo, I am however a 70+ year modeler, very comfortable around brass, styrene, and wood, have a highly-precision eye for scale proportion, am willing to invest as much or more in books and other research than I do in model hardware, and have the tooling kit expected of a seven decade modeler. I'm not much of an asker for help but am a self-learner, much like a sponge soaking up what others have written of their experiences doing that which I am about to do. I don't even have the kit yet but already I'm deep into what you guys have graciously posted. Hmm, rereading this paragraph I think the author might be suffering a big head :rolleyes: . . .

Well anyway, I really am curious about those questions in my opening.
Thanks,
alf
Sent from my iPad
Hi Alf. First of all, from my side: thank you for your detailed explanation with reflection and questions.
Of course you are most welcome on the SoS and the BN sub-forum. And you are certainly not an outsider by buying the YQ-BN elsewhere. You should just know that there was an opportunity to get the kit directly by YQ via Heinrich @Heinrich.
I will try to answer a few of your questions:
-In relation to the other Group-Builds, 'we' are the most active. But that's not the goal. It is about building and mutually providing support and information if you run into problems, or even better before you get there.;)
-I keep a list of numbers only for the delivery from YQ-BN’s via the SOS by Heinrich. But that list also includes the construction of BNs from other manufacturers, manuals, etc. To be of service to those builders as well. The builders of the YQ kit are in this environment. From the other manufacturers in general: -> Logs Kits-Wood <-.
-As Heinrich has mentioned elsewhere, the 'non-Chinese market' is much, much smaller than the Chinese market. I do not know a total number of the amount of YQ-BNs sold. But …… the more the better ……:) …. if it's just a model of a ship.
-About your age ……. Just click on someones bold name under the avatar and you will be surprised. I am a youngster … ;)
-For ‘self learning’ ‘books’ and ‘tooling’, there is a lot of stuff, so take your time …….
Regards, Peter

Back