Attaching Stem, Keel and Rudder Post

I'm building the 1847 Harvey 1:50 it has a two layer plank system. The instruction say to attach the 3 pieces after the both layers of planking. I am thinking it would be better/easier to attach them before any planking is done. so I can carve out the keel frame to adjust for the thickness of the where the planks meet the stem, keel and rudder post to make for a nicer transition. (the 3 parts are as thick as the keel frame)

So am I wrong and should I put them on after as the instruction say? I just can't see how that will work.

Thank you both I'll attach them before the planking. One other thing I am thinking is instead of cutting bearding lines wouldn't it be easier to just make wider stem, keel, rudder post and rudder? Would the slightly thicker keel look that bad?

I'm building the 1847 Harvey 1:50 it has a two layer plank system. The instruction say to attach the 3 pieces after the both layers of planking. I am thinking it would be better/easier to attach them before any planking is done. so I can carve out the keel frame to adjust for the thickness of the where the planks meet the stem, keel and rudder post to make for a nicer transition. (the 3 parts are as thick as the keel frame)

So am I wrong and should I put them on after as the instruction say? I just can't see how that will work.
Unless you are experienced in planking it is better to plank and then attach the keel. The keel will get in the way if you need to do any sanding.

I've done it both ways - depending on the kit. Some say plank first some after. My current build - The Pinnace Virginia - said to plank both layers first then add the stem, keel etc. However, after sanding down the first layer of planking and filling the gaps I felt it would be better to add the keel and stem before the second layer went on as I was able to transition the second layer into them very cleanly. It's really a matter of what you feel most comfortable doing - and your skill level.

Depends on what you are looking for. Ease of build or accuracy? Your idea is good but you may end up with a fat keel.
Yea I've already made new thicker parts. Not looking to build an authentic replica just something to do for my first build (experimenting) It really doesn't look that bad and in all honesty the ship will be up on a shelf only to be looked at from the side. My next build if I survive this one I will take the time to cut bearding lines and stay more true to scale. I'll post some more pics of my build once I get the final layer of hull planking done.

I've done it both ways - depending on the kit. Some say plank first some after. My current build - The Pinnace Virginia - said to plank both layers first then add the stem, keel etc. However, after sanding down the first layer of planking and filling the gaps I felt it would be better to add the keel and stem before the second layer went on as I was able to transition the second layer into them very cleanly. It's really a matter of what you feel most comfortable doing - and your skill level.
Jim I also have done it both ways. I just remember my first planking job and I had a lot of sanding to do and the keel kept getting in the way. I round up scratching the crap o

Not really you would need to you would just sand the boards so that the stem and keel fit between them. If done properly the difference is undetectable. If you cut a rabbit into the keel and stem post all the boards will then sit nicely into the stem and keel.

Back