Attaching yards to masts ?

• Thread starter Thread starter neilm
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 8

Anyone here have any diagrams or clear instructions how to tie the yards to the masts.
Can’t get my head around it?

Anyone here have any diagrams or clear instructions how to tie the yards to the masts.
here we have a discussion

here we have a discussion

Many thanks Jimsky.

The limited edition OcCre Victory. See my build here. Thanks for your reply. First ship so i have a lot to learn.
Hello Neilm,

I have received HMS Victory edition limited, and like you I discover it. I buid Norske Love (Billing Boats) there is more than 30 years... Have a good sunday, Phil, from Belgium

Neil
Depending on which mast and which yard, the yards were secured with parrels, trusses, slings, ties and/or jeers. There is excellent information on Victory in Longridge's The Anatomy or Nelson's Ships and in James Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War. Petersson's book Rigging Period Ship Models may help a little as well but it is based solely on one contemporary ship model (Melampus). I have not seen a copy but have read that The 100-Gun Ship Victory (Anatomy of the Ship) by McKay is a good source of information for anyone wanting to build a model of Victory.
Allan

Last edited:
I don't have a handy drawing, but it is quite simple. Many ways. One is to tie multiple overlapping finger-of-eight knots around the joint between the mast and the yard with a strong cotton thread tightly. Then paste the whole knot with wood glue and let is dry. Bingo. But you will find other ways on the net.

I don't have a handy drawing, but it is quite simple.

If you want to secure the yards as was done on the ship it is not that simple as tying a knot and gluing but it is not difficult either. For example the topsail yards are not secured to the mast at all as they have to be able to be moved up and down unlike the lower yards. Look at post https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/ties-slings-and-jeers.14763/#post-385781 #7 for drawings of jeers, slings, and other drawings. I have included the parrels and trusses below as they are not shown on the post mentioned. These are from Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War pages 66 and 67.
Allan
IMG_6728.JPG
IMG_6729.JPG

If you want to secure the yards as was done on the ship it is not that simple as tying a knot and gluing but it is not difficult either. For example the topsail yards are not secured to the mast at all as they have to be able to be moved up and down unlike the lower yards. Look at post https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/ties-slings-and-jeers.14763/#post-385781 #7 for drawings of jeers, slings, and other drawings. I have included the parrels and trusses below as they are not shown on the post mentioned. These are from Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War pages 66 and 67.
Allan
View attachment 457744
View attachment 457745
Many thanks. Will look into this.

Am having this problem - if you look at the Caldercraft instructions you will find they cover this well. Problem is only have the written instructions - have not been able to find the plans online - having build my Caldercraft Victory I threw away all the drawings............ Also I have the HMS Victory book by McGowan which shows the diagrams

As you can see in my own build log I am using thin rod to attached the yards to the masts. Once they are all in place will look at the Caldercraft instructions and use there methos - will need to buy some 6 and 7mm blocks to assist

Will include photos as how I get on to try and assist as much as possible. May include photos of the Caldercraft Victory to show haw they did it

The mentioned manual of the Victory you can find here - unfortunately not the drawings

Am having this problem - if you look at the Caldercraft instructions you will find they cover this well. Problem is only have the written instructions - have not been able to find the plans online - having build my Caldercraft Victory I threw away all the drawings............ Also I have the HMS Victory book by McGowan which shows the diagrams
Many thanks Julian. All new to me.
As you can see in my own build log I am using thin rod to attached the yards to the masts. Once they are all in place will look at the Caldercraft instructions and use there methos - will need to buy some 6 and 7mm blocks to assist

Will include photos as how I get on to try and assist as much as possible. May include photos of the Caldercraft Victory to show haw they did it

Back