authentic flags and decals for model ships

I have a Model Expo Bluenose (original Bluenose) that came with the newer Canadian maple leaf design flag. It should have had the old British Ensign version that was used on the original schooner. Any sources anyone knows off? I printed the correct design on paper from my computer but the stiffness doesn't look natural - it would be best in some form of cloth fabric.

Hi Bill,

Im sure someone makes them but you could try printing the flag in your printer using silk span.
Silk span is a extremely thin paper used in rc model aircraft, but also makes good sails in small
scale ships. I will be using it in my current build for sails and flags.

Here is howMr. Bob hunt does it: https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/post/2017/05/12/making-silkspan-sails

Take a look at this topic:

and also

Hi Bill,

Im sure someone makes them but you could try printing the flag in your printer using silk span.
Silk span is a extremely thin paper used in rc model aircraft, but also makes good sails in small
scale ships. I will be using it in my current build for sails and flags.

Here is howMr. Bob hunt does it: https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/post/2017/05/12/making-silkspan-sails
Thanks Clair. I will visit the local hobby shop and pick up some silk span. With the flags I will have to print off both sides of the flag - one the reverse of the other, then fix them back to back so both sides look authentic. I have saved Bob Hunts website for future use.

My Pride of Baltimore II build is still in it's early stages, but I want to fly a flag of 1812 on her when the time comes. Maybe a State of Maryland flag too, just because it's so beautiful. In researching how to make these I came across articles like this one on printing on fabric by bonding the fabric to freezer paper. I'm thinking that printing on some thin silk or other fabric would work.

I print both sides of the subject flag on paper. Glue them to both sides of a piece of aluminum foil using white glue.
The foil gives the flag some moldable body that holds it's shape and works well for me. I now work mostly in 1/350 so the my
flags are smaller than what you probably need but this method should still give you an inexpensive, workable solution.

I was able to get a Canadian Red Ensign, the flag before 1966 or so, from Cornwall Model Boats and in fact they have multiple sizes. I was happy with it, easy to trim and form with much diluted PVA. Postage from the UK for things like this is very cheap.

I have a Model Expo Bluenose (original Bluenose) that came with the newer Canadian maple leaf design flag. It should have had the old British Ensign version that was used on the original schooner. Any sources anyone knows off? I printed the correct design on paper from my computer but the stiffness doesn't look natural - it would be best in some form of cloth fabric.
I have used tissue paper fixed to a standard sheet of paper. One printing and the image shows on the other side. The tissue take a nice curl and has a fabric appearance. Medral

I print both sides of the subject flag on paper. Glue them to both sides of a piece of aluminum foil using white glue.
The foil gives the flag some moldable body that holds it's shape and works well for me. I now work mostly in 1/350 so the my
flags are smaller than what you probably need but this method should still give you an inexpensive, workable solution.
Sounds like a good approach. I will try it and report back.

I have used tissue paper fixed to a standard sheet of paper. One printing and the image shows on the other side. The tissue take a nice curl and has a fabric appearance. Medral
Thanks Medral. I will try this swell as several others that members have suggested. Bill

@Bill Gray , how did your flag printing adventures end up? I have the same adventures with my Bluenose and am looking for suitable processes and materials for the flags I am going to print. British Ensign, Nova Scotia flag and a set of signal flags. If you have a solution that worked please let me know. I posted an earlier thread about this topic of flag materials here. Flag Material Thread

Back