Back to hobby after 33 years

Hello all,

So much has changed since I last touched scissors and glue - the plethora of books and drawings, modelling kits, tools, glues, paper and printing quality, laser cut parts, CAD and 3d printing. So, I'm a newbie again, only with the knowledge of initial mistakes and remembering of terrible silicate glue smell and taste from the early 90-ties.
My desire is to build sailship models from scratch, but to stretch my fingers now, I decided to start again with kits. At the moment I'm interested in learning and comparing the technologies from different publishers - how the design is done, what the printing quality is, and what the assembly technology is. And what interests me the most is how different authors create hulls and do planking.
I ordered several kits from Polish, Ukrainian and Lithuanian publishers, and if available - complete kits with accessories and laser cut parts. All in M1:100, 30-40 cm in length range and mid-level complexity. However, not all of them interest me in their story and construction, so I certainly don't plan to finish all of them. I just want to research to understand what is on the market now and what I want to do next with this beauty. So here is my playground :)

1st-after-33y.jpg

a warm welcome here on board of our forum also from my side

Congratulations for finishing this fine model - Very good work

Can't believe it's your first in so many years! Great work!!

Fletcher
Thank you. Unfortunately no earlier paper models survive until now. I only have the last one 1:200 I started to build from scratch in '89-'90 but I'm not going to continue her build because of my eyes and fingers state today.

I know how you feel. I built a few beginner's back in the 90's. A few years back I built the Constructo America 1:56. It took 1 1/2 winters (I's on my floating boat in the summer). I wear reading glasses plus a magnifier headband:
61WQrH2EE+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I bought through Amazon. Can't help on fingers.

All the best,
Fletch

Hello all,

So much has changed since I last touched scissors and glue - the plethora of books and drawings, modelling kits, tools, glues, paper and printing quality, laser cut parts, CAD and 3d printing. So, I'm a newbie again, only with the knowledge of initial mistakes and remembering of terrible silicate glue smell and taste from the early 90-ties.
My desire is to build sailship models from scratch, but to stretch my fingers now, I decided to start again with kits. At the moment I'm interested in learning and comparing the technologies from different publishers - how the design is done, what the printing quality is, and what the assembly technology is. And what interests me the most is how different authors create hulls and do planking.
I ordered several kits from Polish, Ukrainian and Lithuanian publishers, and if available - complete kits with accessories and laser cut parts. All in M1:100, 30-40 cm in length range and mid-level complexity. However, not all of them interest me in their story and construction, so I certainly don't plan to finish all of them. I just want to research to understand what is on the market now and what I want to do next with this beauty. So here is my playground :)
Hallo @vaidas
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Very good looking models
- Do not forget to prepare yourself for the years after these 33 years ....... so you can never have enough kits, tools, models .....

Back