Backstays

There seems to be a lot of backstay names like "after" "breast" "running" "shifting" "standing" and probably some that I've missed. Is there somewhere or someone that explains the difference or if some are different names for the same stay?

Last edited:
Personally, I have never heard of "breast" or "after". I have only heard of fore and aft stays. They do not move and keep everything in line. Some of these lines do run through blocks to achieve the correct angle for mast bracing. I compare it to a roof truss. Running rigging is always being adjusted to maximize the wind on the sails for speed and yard braces are running rigging which maneuvers them for direction.

That is the extent of my knowledge. I am sure I will be corrected in about fourteen seconds.

I'm sure a lot of these names are duplications. I'm looking at books that span almost 300 years. Names probably as whims changed. It's just finding out what changed to what that's tough.

The best & most thorough explanation of any type stays I've found is in "Historic Ship Models" by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. Excellent diagrams & explanations on a subject that confused the heck out of me for a long time. Also, "The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, by R.C. Anderson was helpful, at least to me. I picked up both books from AbeBooks for an extremely reasonable price.
Rick1011

Here's what James Lees, in his Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1660-1865, has to say about both:

"Breast backstays had their upper and lower ends set up in the usual fashion [i.e., like the regular standing backstays], but according to models in the National Maritime Museum, very few English ships were fitted with them. The standing backstay seems to have served the same purpose by having the foremost backstay well forward along the channels. I have seen contemporary models - one of the 1719 Establishement and one of the 1733 Establishement - carrying a breast backstay, and then not found any again until 1839. When fitted, they ran abreast of the mast. Personally, I would not fit them unless they were shownon a painting or print of a model I intended to make, and then would only fit them after 1719....

"Shifting backstay size is given in the rigging tables, but this would not be seen generally as it was only used to give additional stay to the mast when sailing , and would be unrove in port or whenever it was thought fit. A pendant, half as long again as the burton pendant, was fitted however. A thimble was spliced into the lower end, while the upper end fitted the same as the burton pendant.

"Shifting backstay falls consisted of a long-tackle block hoooked in the thimble of the pendant, and a single block hooked in the fore channels or to an eyebolt in the deck."

Ted

Steel mentions breast backstays in the Art of Rigging from 1795, same for both fore and main topmast:
Runners circumference 5"
Fall circumference 2,5"
Strap circumference 3"
12" single and double stay blocks

Strange enough the stay itself is missing there, perhaps as Steel mentions them before as the standing stays have 7". Also McKay states a circumference of 7".

XXXDAn

Is there another contemporary source for rigging beside Steel? It seems that most authors of rigging books seem to use Steel as their source but every so often they don't agree. It makes me think that there must/might be another old source.

Back