Baking polyester rope

In various blogs and postings I have seen reference to baking polyester rope in order to relieve torsion acquired when making the rope. I have not however been able to find the process. Does anyone know how to bake rope? Temperature? Time? best practices? Any info you may share is more than I know… thanks!

350 F for 5 minutes works well for me. Be sure to wrap the rope around something (like a soup can) - you can't just bake the rope sitting loose in the oven - it will take a set to a rat's nest. This process also decreases how much the rope unravels when you cut it - but I still treat the ends with CA. Happy baking.
Thank you sir. That helps…
do you do one hank of rope at a time or can you wrap several sections together? my ropewalk makes about 3 meter ropes.

I wrapped as much as I could on the can at one time being careful to run the strings next to each other rather than over each other (leaves a 'dent' where the lines overlap).

I bake my ropes at 300 F for various amounts of time, depending on the diameter. Wrapping the rope around a tin does work but not for large batches. For that, you can make the ropes into a normal hank, then put a light baking mat over them. That will stop them from going crazy. If you do it right you won't deform the ropes.

I bake my ropes at 300 F for various amounts of time, depending on the diameter. Wrapping the rope around a tin does work but not for large batches. For that, you can make the ropes into a normal hank, then put a light baking mat over them. That will stop them from going crazy. If you do it right you won't deform the ropes.
Thanks for the info Ben. By “light baking mat“ do you mean like a silicon mat used on cookie sheets? Do you sandwich your rope hanks between a pair of mats?
Silicon mat

In various blogs and postings I have seen reference to baking polyester rope in order to relieve torsion acquired when making the rope. I have not however been able to find the process. Does anyone know how to bake rope? Temperature? Time? best practices? Any info you may share is more than I know… thanks!
1. Use soft cotton crochet thread.
2. Forget about going into the bakery business.

Hallo @Ofontana
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back