Balac the Norseman from Wisconsin Door County

Greetings to fellow Modelers. I have rebuilt and constructed new boats on the order of 20 feet for years. Pictured on my ID is a 21 ft 10 person Norse coastal raiding recreation I made and sailed in Door County WI in the 90's. I also made a British two masted ketch of 22 ft as a parade boat. I had intended to sail it but the rigging gave me trouble so never got it in the water. I also restored a 1938 lightening boat and made a 8 ft sailing tender with side boards to see how the side boards worked. Many years ago I made a model of a french one gun deck model and now that I am getting to old to build large vessels I am trying to make a one side open 1:48 model of the bounty.

Hi Balac
welcome aboard :)
your projects sounds very interesting & impressive, I will happy to see some pictures.
what next?

Welcome to SOS Balac..!!
It sounds as if you have plenty of experience building.!! Models are slightly different, but your ‘eye’ will tell you what is right.
Happy to have you here with us. Pull up a chair and look around. Lots to see and do. When you get a chance, start a build log of the Bounty. We like pictures.! If you have questions, there are folks around who know the answers.!!
Again, welcome.
Howard

I have yet to find my camera from my move to the family farm last month and am still trying to find plans for an open side AL Bounty as the one I bought is full sided. Thanks for your interest Norseman.

Last edited:
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our Forum
Thanks for the welcome Hobbit99 and Uwek. It is good be in a group that is willing to help and is so encouraging. The first thing it to research the open side deck plans and modify the frames to allow open side viewing. Which I am currently doing with you all's help. Found Schrader in Columbia who did an open side Bounty and am looking at his design.

Last edited:
Where in Door County are you from?

We love going there in summer. One of my absolute favorite things is eating a picnic lunch of freshly smoked whitefish, home-grown tomatoes and beer on the shore of Green Bay in Peninsula State Park. Perfection in August!

Where in Door County are you from?

We love going there in summer. One of my absolute favorite things is eating a picnic lunch of freshly smoked whitefish, home-grown tomatoes and beer on the shore of Green Bay in Peninsula State Park. Perfection in August!

Welcome aboard. Love your viking ship. The biggest actual boat I ever built was 17', and was a sailable sea kayak. Was loads of fun to row and sail around the lakes near me. Never got to put it in the ocean, and ended up donating it to a scout troop. Lived for a couple of years in Sheboygan and Manitowoc, Wisc.,and my grandparents owned a resort between Tomahawk and Rhinelander. It's a beautiful state. Again welcome.

Welcome aboard. Love your viking ship. The biggest actual boat I ever built was 17', and was a sailable sea kayak. Was loads of fun to row and sail around the lakes near me. Never got to put it in the ocean, and ended up donating it to a scout troop. Lived for a couple of years in Sheboygan and Manitowoc, Wisc.,and my grandparents owned a resort between Tomahawk and Rhinelander. It's a beautiful state. Again welcome.
Hi Jim, thanks for the Welcome post:
Glad to hear there is a fellow boat builder here beside modelers, not that there is anything wrong with small boat builders but they can not go to sea in them.
I was going to try to build a sailable 17 foot kayak as well but was having trouble getting my boards cut and I ran out of money this year because of expenses associated with my move back to Casco and repairing the old farm house. So I could not get started on it other than bending the coaming boards.
What part of N Caroline are you at Jim? My mom is from Lenoir and the Yellow Church mountain area east of Boone. I still have lots of relations down there and go down to the Mountain every few years. My sister bought the ancestral place on the mountain and I built a A frame on the old property where the last cabin was located next to the stream. Beautiful place up there on the mountain and there are still moonshiners up there so you don't go snooping around without getting permission.
Greg Urban

Attachments

• N Carolina.jpg
    N Carolina.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Greetings to fellow Modelers. I have rebuilt and constructed new boats on the order of 20 feet for years. Pictured on my ID is a 21 ft 10 person Norse coastal raiding recreation I made and sailed in Door County WI in the 90's. I also made a British two masted ketch of 22 ft as a parade boat. I had intended to sail it but the rigging gave me trouble so never got it in the water. I also restored a 1938 lightening boat and made a 8 ft sailing tender with side boards to see how the side boards worked. Many years ago I made a model of a french one gun deck model and now that I am getting to old to build large vessels I am trying to make a one side open 1:48 model of the bounty.
Hallo @Balac
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back