BAND SAW.... What do you have for the hobby ?

Hi all

This will ve a very simple question.

What band saw "for hobby use" do you have ?

I have been reading the pros/cons of the Micro Mark and Proxxon mini band saws VS the bench more standard band saws.

I just want to have a feeling of what is most used. There is no need to explain technical details or why you have it.

For hobby use !! ..... What band saw do you have and are you happy with it (yes/no).

Cheers and thank you for taking time to answer my question.

Daniel

I do not have one. What is it used for?

Excelente!!! One of the reasons of my question is to do a colateral evaluation if I will be recovering my $$$ expent in a band saw.

Let say.... mini band saws ( Micro Mark/Proxxon) they are around $300. A bench band saw for slightly bigger home work (besides hobby use), a good brand, is also ~$200 -$300.

Knowing what most use for the hobby will let me know if it really deserves the investment.

Thanks !!!!
Daniel

HI DANIEL, I HAVE A 9 INCH TABEL TOP PERFORMAX (FROM MENARDS) $120.00, USE IT CONSTATLY REPLACING A LOT OF HOBBY TOOLS THAT ARE EXPENSIVE I CAN CUT STRIPS TO VERY THIN WIDTHIS CAN CUT FRAMES JUST BE CAREFUL ON TIGHTB CURVES AND ON TOP OF THAT WITH A BLADE CHANGE CAN RE-SAW MATERIALS, HIGHLY RECOMEND IT HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS STEADY GREAT BENIFIT AT A GOOD PRICE AN YOU CAN USE IT AS A REGULAR BAND SAW, GET IT DANIEL YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS DON

Thank you guys. I see that the mini band saws from proxxon and micro mark are not to popular. I got the same feeling lurking all around internet.

So then a normal benchtop band saw it will be.

Cheers
Daniel

I have a Scheppac Basa 1490 mm. I'm quite happy with it but on the other hand I have no experience with other bandsaws. So far I have only started on my first model and since that is a kit there is really no need for a bandsaw. For scratchbuild I would think a bandsaw is really nice to have.

Thank you all for your answers !!!!

I decided to order this one for a total of $241 after all discounts and including shipping and taxes

Thanks again !!
Daniel

I've used the Einhall (1400mm blade) . Good with original blade, very accurate and controllable. The blade broke without warning but machine has many safety features. Locally made replacement blades poorer quality. So just ordered some new original blades. Note that they are often sold in packs of 2 or 5, which gives an idea that they have a limited life.
Essential to check out Utube tutorials -the machine needs patient setting up- but when you have done so, works like a dream and almost makes the jig saw redundant and also does much that a table saw can.
Enjoy

I must add that after 6months use, I have a last attached vacuum cleaner hose. This is important. This machine creates more dust than all the rest put together. The vacuum cleaner means I can remove my mask and don't have to clean workspace after each use

I must add that after 6months use, I have a last attached vacuum cleaner hose. This is important. This machine creates more dust than all the rest put together. The vacuum cleaner means I can remove my mask and don't have to clean workspace after each use

I have a small canister vacuum cleaner that I attach to the tools. I use it also to clean my working area after all my hand sanding :)

Cheers
Daniel

I use a 1 gallon shop vac attached to my tools as needed. Not sure they even sell that small thing anymore. I sand in the Garage where my metal shop is. I spread out a large sheet of paper on my layout table and collect the dust to use as filler. Sanding in the house is a nono per the Admiral lol

I've never used a hobby-sized bandsaw, but my 18" Delta full sized band saw isn't accurate enough for model work. I do all my curves, frames etc. on the scroll saw. Much more accurate with great control.
I do the same. For me I can sneak up much closer on the line with the scroll saw. Took me a long time to get my bandsaw table level on all 4 corners and perfectly square to the blade, because Ryobi isn't known for precision. I basically used the same process I use to tram my mill table.

I do the same. For me I can sneak up much closer on the line with the scroll saw. Took me a long time to get my bandsaw table level on all 4 corners and perfectly square to the blade, because Ryobi isn't known for precision. I basically used the same process I use to tram my mill table.

I have learned that the scroll saw SPIRAL BLADES are the best ones to follow drawings. I am using those.

For now it isn't in my mind to use the band saw as a scroll saw. Time and experience will define the uses for it.

Cheers
Daniel

Back