Basic Needs

Looking around my bench I can identify a number of items that are always present (or possibly on the floor): (1) A 6" metal Ruler (inches and millimeters); (2) A 0.5mm pencil; (3) Knife handle(s); (4) Forceps: (5) #11 Blades; (6) Glue(s) and Accelerator; (7) Glue cups; and (7) Micro Brushes. I have already noted my preference for CA glues but I do use other types.

For those that wish to save $$$$, I purchase my Knife handles and Blades (in packages of 100) from a surgical supply house (unsterilized) far cheaper than through a hobby outlet. Likewise, I get my Micro brushes (hundreds at a time) from a dental supply company. I collect used forceps and scissors from a local orthopedic doctor's office (my own doctor), which would otherwise be thrown away after being used only one time to simply remove stitches. I have been unable to find a cheap source for the micro cups that I use to hold the small amounts of glue that is applied with the micro brushes so I continue to by 200 micro cups at a time from Micro Mart.

I tend to change blades quite frequently since my cost is so very low. One additional item you will also find in my shop is a "sharps" disposal box. I would never think of putting a used blade or other sharp in the trash basket.

Looking around my bench I can identify a number of items that are always present (or possibly on the floor): (1) A 6" metal Ruler (inches and millimeters); (2) A 0.5mm pencil; (3) Knife handle(s); (4) Forceps: (5) #11 Blades; (6) Glue(s) and Accelerator; (7) Glue cups; and (7) Micro Brushes. I have already noted my preference for CA glues but I do use other types.

For those that wish to save $$$$, I purchase my Knife handles and Blades (in packages of 100) from a surgical supply house (unsterilized) far cheaper than through a hobby outlet. Likewise, I get my Micro brushes (hundreds at a time) from a dental supply company. I collect used forceps and scissors from a local orthopedic doctor's office (my own doctor), which would otherwise be thrown away after being used only one time to simply remove stitches. I have been unable to find a cheap source for the micro cups that I use to hold the small amounts of glue that is applied with the micro brushes so I continue to by 200 micro cups at a time from Micro Mart.

I tend to change blades quite frequently since my cost is so very low. One additional item you will also find in my shop is a "sharps" disposal box. I would never think of putting a used blade or other sharp in the trash basket.
Thanks for mentioning the sharps container. I have one but have been disposing razors and such by wrapping with duct tape and cardboard (stupid)

I have been unable to find a cheap source for the micro cups that I use to hold the small amounts of glue that is applied with the micro brushes so I continue to by 200 micro cups at a time from Micro Mart.
I buy disposable plastic sauce pots like these. Paper ones are also available, but I haven't tried them yet as they are probably plastic or wax-coated anyway.

Thanks for the lead but one oz pots would be far too big for my use. I suspect that the cups I now use are about 5ml. Just use for a few drops of CA at a time and then apply with dental applicators. After about ten refills, they crud up so that I replace the cup. I probably use 50 - 100 for each project. Thanks again.

Round nose pliers too. :)
Yes indeed! I have a many miniature pliers but none that are of particularly high quality and which I bought at stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I recently replaced my cheap set of diamond files with a set made in Germany and another set of regular files made in Israel -- difference is astounding! My cheap pliers seem to last and do the job, probably because I am only using annealed brass wire. I do periodically replace my side cutters (Xuron?) which I use for not only cutting wire but for cutting rigging rope. These pliers, which exhibit a strong mechanical advantage, a long reach, and spring retraction, also seem to be among the best available at a reasonable price. They can easily be use with gentle pressure between the thumb and forefinger.

Back