Batavia kit building by Janos [COMPLETED BUILD]

The kit arrived this morning from the Netherlands. I am very impressed with the quality of the kit and with the way it was packaged and delivered. The box arrived virtually undamaged and the content seems to be complete. If any item is missing, it will turn out later (I don't anticipate any such item, seeing the precise content), during the building. The delivery also contains a paint set, a byboat and the base board. The 'authentic' blocks, also purchased, will arrive later.
As Heinrich wrote an extensive building log about this kit I don't have to do the same (I would not be able to compete with him anyhow and I am hopeless with building logs) so I will provide only more or less regular updates with photos as I go. I try to be a bit more particular if I have to manufacture some items which are not part of the kit.
János

Hi mate
Good luck with your build
Any chance of seeing the box cover cheers snowy

Great to see you with another build Janos. I have to ask, walnut or oak?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Great to see you with another build Janos. I have to ask, walnut or oak?

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thanks Nigel!
I bit the bullet and ordered oak blindly and it looks very good - better than expected material. I was just afraid of the walnut on the basis of my earlier experience. Most of the walnut is very fragile and has out-of-scale grains. The only good quality walnut I could see is from Amati. With oak I have zero experience so this will be another learning curve.
János

I started to put the frames, false keel, and floor together. The laser cut quality of the kit is simply astonishing. Among others, the kit provides so beautifully detailed keel parts which I haven't seen in any other kit yet. The plywood (frames) could be stronger (I know compromises to weight and laser cutting costs). The manual suggests a sequence that can not be followed and doing it in the correct way makes it very difficult (and causes some damage which can be seen in the photos). Well, model building is an endless learning curve...
Janos

DSC_1280.JPGDSC_1281.JPG

DSC_1283.JPG

DSC_1282.JPG

Very nice kit and a great start Janos. She has some real but gruseome history at the Australia westcoast...
Hi Ptèr,
Dutch sailors did not have great luck with their Australian adventures... First came Duyfken in 1606, from Java to the York Peninsula. They had a few skirmishes with the friendly Aborigines (the Second People) who killed off 9 out of 20 people of Duyfken so they had to turn back. Then came Batavia in 1628 from the West but could not even reach the continent and then came the mutiny...
János

Hi mate
Good luck with your build
Any chance of seeing the box cover cheers snowy
Hi Snowy,
My tablet is playing games with me. I replied in a separate message with the pictures, but this had been somehow garbled with the other message for Ptèr. So please find the requested pictures in that message,
János

I started to put the frames, false keel, and floor together. The laser cut quality of the kit is simply astonishing. Among others, the kit provides so beautifully detailed keel parts which I haven't seen in any other kit yet. The plywood (frames) could be stronger (I know compromises to weight and laser cutting costs). The manual suggests a sequence that can not be followed and doing it in the correct way makes it very difficult (and causes some damage which can be seen in the photos). Well, model building is an endless learning curve...
Janos

View attachment 369196View attachment 369197

View attachment 369194

View attachment 369195
pretty ship

Hi Ptèr,
Dutch sailors did not have great luck with their Australian adventures... First came Duyfken in 1606, from Java to the York Peninsula. They had a few skirmishes with the friendly Aborigines (the Second People) who killed off 9 out of 20 people of Duyfken so they had to turn back. Then came Batavia in 1628 from the West but could not even reach the continent and then came the mutiny...
János
Well, Australia ís the (almost) polar opposite of the Netherlands.... ROTF

Hi Janos. I am very happy to see you are building the Batavia. As you have said, the kit is of very good quality, and I have no doubt that you will create a masterpiece. I may not be too bad when it comes to writing a build log, but as far as the actual building and craftsmanship go, very few people can hold a candle to you - certainly not me. I trust that you will post regular updates - I am very keen to see which parts you will be adding.

Janos

View attachment 369196View attachment 369197

View attachment 369194

View attachment 369195
Hello Janos , contemplating building her myself , with all the history and very intriguing

The plywood (frames) could be stronger (I know compromises to weight and laser cutting costs).
Breakage of parts is, at least for me, no alien phenomenon.
Initially I was blaming the kit manufacturer for supplying the wrong type of wood (not my own clumsiness of course... ;)) Now I'm more of the opinion that the scale with which we're working leads to rather small- and therefore vulnerable parts. Luckily we, modelers are smart enough to overcome these little nuisances with ease.:)

Struggling a bit with planking. I have to get used to Elm, which I am using the first time. Not very sandpaper-friendly but behaves very well while bending. The textured look is generally great but sometimes the grain is a bit too much. There are also flecks which can not be get rid of. And it does not tolerate instant glue... Unfortunately my planking material comes from at least two quite different species, one is reddish and the other is slightly blueish. I wonder how will they look after the wipe-on poly will be applied.
Generally I am happy with the kit until now, it starts to take shape.
János

Back